Head of Optical Design
Avalon sciences design and manufacture specialist seismic monitoring tools for the oil and gas industry using fibre sensors. The tools have to work reliably in high temperature environments. A vacancy has arisen within the optical department; the ideal candidate will have a broad range of skills encompassing the field of fibre optics. They will have the ability to design and develop optical architectures for arrays of sensors. Reporting to the Chief Technical Officer, you will be joining a small but talented team; you will need to be self-motivated, flexible, and a team player.
- Deep understanding of fibre sensors
- Understanding of noise sources and ability to generate loss models
- Broad knowledge of optical components
- Ability to write and review technical documents
- Experience/knowledge of electronics
- Experience/knowledge of embedded software and high level languages
Responsibilities (non-exhaustive list)
- Assist production with the introduction of new products
- Support and assist in integration and production testing
- Provide customer support and problem solve on technical matters
- Attend and actively contribute at design reviews
- Formal degree or post graduate degree in Physics, Engineering or related subject
More about us:
We work in a relaxed and friendly environment: as a family-run company, every employee is valued individually and has a unique role. Many people go to the gym together or go running/play football during lunch breaks; we even have a regular team for the local monthly pub-quiz. Many employees have taken advantage of the cycle to work scheme; the roads around our headquarters make for excellent cycling. If you’d like to know more, give us a call or send us an email.
Applicants must be eligible to work in the UK.
No recruitment agencies please.