Engineering Project Manager (Site Support)
We’re on a mission to make Engineering the first thing that springs to mind when you think of Ocado. We’re trailblazing when it comes to robotics and automated logistics solutions and with our rapid company growth, now’s the time to join us and be part of the ‘Ocado Revolution’.
We now operate across 3 continents, have partnered with multiple retailers (with plans for more) and are working on building new state of the art Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs) across the globe, as well as designing and manufacturing everything that goes inside them. This all starts with our Product Development team, which is where you come in.
We’re looking for an Engineering Project Manager to assist with ongoing site support at our CFC in Erith. In this role, you’ll be responsible for providing expertise to the Production Engineering team, supporting with delivering multiple continuous improvement projects, cost down and support of new product introduction.
The Production Engineering team is a critical part of Product Development, responsible for the rapid containment and resolution of product issues encountered on our large portfolio of electro-mechanical, automated and structural products across Ocado sites in the UK and internationally. You will therefore make a tangible impact to the profitability of Ocado in this role and it’s a great opportunity to gain exposure to innovative products you wouldn’t find anywhere else!
What you can expect to be doing:
- Planning, executing and closing out multiple projects in a high pressure environment
- Planning, executing and closing site based engineering works including all H&S arrangements, preparing and/or having RAMS approved, supervising site works
- Following and helping to develop a problem solving/project management methodology closely linked to the existing product development methodology
- Assisting with sourcing vendors, contracting works, ensuring delivery and controlling the budget/spend
- Matrix management of appropriate internal business-wide resource and expertise to support innovation and delivery
- Contributing to risk discussions, helping to mitigate and quantify as appropriate
- Giving effective and engaging presentations to general audiences, communicating engineering topics to technical and non-technical stakeholders up to board level
- Ensuring products and engineering changes are suitable for transfer to manufacture
- Ensuring the product or engineering changes and associated documentation meet the criteria for handover
Skills/qualifications we need to see:
- An Engineering qualification, to HND or Degree level preferred
- Experience of managing site works, CDM, and a relevant H&S qualification
- Good technical ability (or experience) relating to automation hardware
- Experience generating requirements, being able to balance those against the budget/delivery and being able to negotiate these with the customer
- Must have very good negotiation skills with the ability to listen, comprehend, consider and assimilate others points of view with their own beliefs and visions
- Experience of vendor selection and long term engagement for the delivery of services and products
- Experience in making tactical and strategic based decisions of significance
Skills/experience that would be nice to have:
- A project management qualification (APM PMQ or PRINCE2)
- NEBOSH or IOSH
- Experience with electronics, and robotics
- Experience in managing multiple projects across a range of disciplines
Want to know more about us?
- Have a click around our dedicated Ocado Engineering website for info on the different departments that make up the Engineering function; what we do, what we’re trying to achieve, how we’re planning to get there and the key people involved that you could be working alongside.
- Why not also give our LinkedIn page a follow so you can keep up to date?
- If YouTube is more up your street, Ocado Engineering has its own channel - take some time out to watch our innovative products in action and hear our people talking about what we do and why you should join us.
If you need more convincing, here’s (some of) what we can offer you:
- Life Assurance
- Private Medical Insurance
- 23 days holiday, increasing to 25 with 3 years’ service
- Employee Assistance Program
- Free Shares
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn schemes
- Discounted shopping on Ocado.com, Smart Pass and destination sites
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Ocado is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employers are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Due to the fast-paced nature of Ocado's business our vacancy close dates may be subject to change.