Mechanical CAD Technician
We’re on a mission to make Engineering the first thing that springs to mind when you think of Ocado. We’re trailblazing when it comes to robotics and automated logistics solutions and with our rapid company growth, now’s the time to join us and be part of the ‘Ocado Revolution’.
We now operate across 3 continents, have partnered with multiple retailers (with plans for more) and are working on building new state of the art Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs) across the globe, as well as designing and manufacturing everything that goes inside them. This all starts with our Product Development team, which is where you come in.
We’re now looking for a Mechanical CAD Technician to sit within our Design team at our engineering office in Welwyn Garden City. In this position, you will be responsible for supporting our design engineers with creating CAD models, assembles and drawings for products that are released into our CFCs. This could range from the design of our automated robotics and other peripheral products, to the structural grid system - these are integral products for both our B2B and B2C functions, the success of which are intrinsically linked to the profitability of the business.
If you’re an experienced CAD Technician/Draughtsman that is looking to continue along this career path in a challenging yet exciting and innovative environment, this is the role for you!
What you can expect to be doing:
- Creating CAD models, assemblies, drawings and specifications according to best practice and corporate standards
- Thorough checking of CAD data before it is released
- Ensuring the corporate standard for CAD modelling and draughting is followed by adherence, and by giving guidance to others
- Supporting the mechanical CAD/PDM system to ensure availability to all users
- Supporting and promoting the security and integrity of mechanical CAD data
- Keeping up to date with trends and developments in mechanical CAD software, systems and data management
Skills/qualifications we need to see:
- A thorough understanding of BS 8888 and the practical application of it
- Excellent understanding of how to apply GD&T when creating component and assembly drawings
- A strong history of using SolidWorks in a product development environment
- Familiar with using a PDM system, preferably SolidWorks PDM or SolidWorks Workgroup PDM
- A proven track record in the design of components and assemblies that have gone into production
- Strong understanding of mechanical design fundamentals and practices
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Skills/experience that would be nice to have:
- Experience producing patent drawings
- An HND in Engineering or equivalent qualification with relevant experience
- Any experience with Autodesk Inventor
- Experience training others in how to produce high quality drawings
Want to know more about us?
- Have a click around our dedicated Ocado Engineering website for info on the different departments that make up the Engineering function; what we do, what we’re trying to achieve, how we’re planning to get there and the key people involved that you could be working alongside.
- Why not also give our LinkedIn page a follow so you can keep up to date?
- If YouTube is more up your street, Ocado Engineering has its own channel - take some time out to watch our innovative products in action and hear our people talking about what we do and why you should join us.
If you need more convincing, here’s (some of) what we can offer you:
- Life Assurance
- Private Medical Insurance
- 23 days holiday, increasing to 25 with 3 years’ service
- Employee Assistance Program
- Free Shares
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn schemes
- Discounted shopping on Ocado.com, Smart Pass and destination sites
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Ocado is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employers are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Due to the fast-paced nature of Ocado's business our vacancy close dates may be subject to change.