Product Safety & Compliance Engineer
We’re on a mission to make Engineering the first thing that springs to mind when you think of Ocado. We’re trailblazing when it comes to robotics and automated logistics solutions and with our rapid company growth, now’s the time to join us and be part of the ‘Ocado Revolution’.
We now operate across 3 continents, have partnered with multiple retailers (with plans for more) and are working on building new state of the art Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs) across the globe, as well as designing and manufacturing everything that goes inside them. This all starts with our Product Development team, which is where you come in.
We’re now looking for a Product Safety & Compliance Engineer, to sit within our Projects team at our engineering office in Welwyn Garden City. In this role, you’ll be responsible for ensuring that all new Ocado Smart Platform (OSP) products, including automated machinery, AGVs, robotics and wireless products, meet the safety and regulatory requirements appropriate for the country of use.
As we continue to grow and expand internationally as a business, having the right expertise in place to make sure our products are safe and compliant, as well to analyse and resolve any potential field-related safety issues, is vital to our success as a global organisation.
What you can expect to be doing:
- Providing regulatory guidance and support to key customers/collaborators
- Conducting product safety evaluations or managing out-sourced product testing/certification as required
- Reviewing existing and emerging legislation for potential impacts and proposing compliance plans
- Performing and coordinating hazard and risk assessments for new product designs
- Compilation and maintenance of technical files for certification and regulatory compliance
- Review & approve safety related information prepared for manufacturing, end-users and service personnel (e.g. product testing, user guides, maintenance etc)
- Review and prepare compliance reports for product certification, regulatory bodies and management as required
- Support the development and implementation of internal safety processes and procedures
Skills/qualifications we need to see:
- Technically proficient in all areas of Mechanical and Electrical machinery safety
- Experience interfacing with external regulatory bodies
- Safety Auditing experience
- Experience in applying current European Directives and Standards pertaining to highly automated warehouses including automated machinery and robotics
- Experience in achieving certification for products outside of the EU
- Ability to support Mechanical and Electrical Design engineers in the design of appropriate safety systems and safety architecture to meet required product standards
- Ability to lead Task and Design based risk assessments
- Ability to create system test and validation plans
- Experience in the completion of EHSRs for Machinery Safety and the provision of body of evidence for CE Marking and regulatory compliance
- Ability to support and negotiate with suppliers for required certification / compliance deliverables
Skills/experience that would be nice to have:
- Knowledge of EMC testing/compliance and certification of Radio Products
- Knowledge of functional safety systems including SIL/PL assessments (e.g. Functional Safety Certified Eng)
Want to know more about us?
- Have a click around our dedicated Ocado Engineering website for info on the different departments that make up the Engineering function; what we do, what we’re trying to achieve, how we’re planning to get there and the key people involved that you could be working alongside.
- Why not also give our LinkedIn page a follow so you can keep up to date?
- If YouTube is more up your street, Ocado Engineering has its own channel - take some time out to watch our innovative products in action and hear our people talking about what we do and why you should join us.
If you need more convincing, here’s (some of) what we can offer you:
- Life Assurance
- Private Medical Insurance
- 23 days holiday, increasing to 25 with 3 years’ service
- Employee Assistance Program
- Free Shares
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn schemes
- Discounted shopping on Ocado.com, Smart Pass and destination sites
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Ocado is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employers are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Due to the fast-paced nature of Ocado's business our vacancy close dates may be subject to change.