Senior Systems Architect – Test & Evaluation Systems
Job description/Person specification Key responsibility
Working in one or more Project Teams as the lead architect with responsibility to define what enterprise, system, or engineering product architecture should be.
• Defining and developing systems architectures in response to customer requirements to address specific purposes
• Devising architectures to capture problems and/or solutions together with the relationships between the problem being addressed and the outline of the solution addressing it.
• Partitioning between discipline technologies and deriving discipline-specific requirements.
• Documenting architectures in a manner which promotes understanding by the stakeholders, analysis and communication.
• Applying systems architectures in dependent activities (other architectures, designs, implementations etc.) and making sure that derived products conform with the architecture.
• Assessing a range of architectural solutions and justifying the selection of a good solution.
Successful outcomes of this role:
• Delivering systems architectures that meet the customer/stakeholders’ requirements.
• Improving the practices and standards of systems architecting and mentoring junior staff.
• Codification and cross-fertilisation of architecting best practices.
• Driving commonality and coherence, where appropriate, across the Architecting Community.
Challenges to be addressed:
• Complexity of enterprise / technical problems and potential solutions.
• Provision of competent yet succinct architectural solutions.
• Developing solutions which have potential impact across technical and enterprise domains and potentially across multiple projects.
• Operating in a discipline area where established practice is of varying maturity.
• Working with multidisciplinary teams that may be drawn from across the organisation (and potentially more widely e.g. collaborative partners).
• Achieving stakeholder buy-in.
Essential Education, Qualifications and Training:
• Degree or equivalent in a relevant engineering or technical discipline, or proven experience working in an equivalent engineering role. (Typically engineering, physics, maths)
• Membership of an appropriate professional body (e.g. INCOSE, IET)
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required:
• Ability to lead Systems Architecting activities throughout their lifecycle:
• Able to understand, analyse and articulate customer problems.
• Able to generate solutions to customer problems using architecting techniques.
• Able to analyse and evaluate architectural solutions and articulate their underlying rationale.
• Able to employ a variety of architecting practices as appropriate to the problem and solution space, including with respect to complexity.
• Able to partition between discipline technologies and integrate relevant disciplines using architecture as a basis.
• Able to document and communicate architectures and architecting issues (such as safety, security, human factors).
• Able to assess the alternative solutions for feasibility, risk, cost, schedule, technology requirements, human factors, -ilities etc.
• Able to manage multidisciplinary teams of engineers and scientists and a broad range of internal and external stakeholders whilst building and maintaining excellent relationships.
• Able to employ excellent negotiation and presentation skills.
• Able to communicate effectively with people at all levels, both internally and externally.
• Demonstrates understanding of Information Management principles.
• Experience in at least one relevant application domain – we will consider individuals with varying levels of experience, including those moving into systems architecting from relevant backgrounds e.g. software architecting.
Essential Personal Qualities and Behavioural Requirements:
• Natural systems thinker;
• Enjoys addressing unknowns;
• Leadership skills with confidence supported by professionalism and competence;
• Self-motivated, with a ‘can-do’ attitude;
• Collaborative to build a ‘one team’ outlook;
• Works flexibly;
• Ability to (where required) work on several projects simultaneously.
• Systems analysis skills;
• System concepting skills;
• Experience in the use of one or more of Architecture Frameworks, Architecture Description Languages, BPMN, Archimate, MOOD, SysML and UML;
• Experience in using tools such as Enterprise Architect, System Architect, and Rhapsody;
• Model Based Systems Engineering;
• Knowledge of configuration management;
• Flexibility to travel as required to support project activities.
QinetiQ offers an excellent salary and benefits package commensurate with a large international company some of which are highlighted below:-
• Career development across a diverse International organisation
• 50% off meals at selected restaurants , 40% off cinema tickets.
• Modern and collaborative working environment
• Pension - up to 10.5 % Company contributed
• Flexible Working , Social and family events • Health Cash Plan , Health Screening, Employee Assistance 24/7
• Leading edge technology focus
• Private Medical Insurance and Dental Insurance at additional cost
• Childcare or After School Club , Annual Leave Purchase
• Personal Accident Insurance , Annual Travel Insurance
• Gym and sports facilities available at larger sites
• Payroll Giving and Volunteering - helping charities and local community