Senior Systems Engineer - Aerospace
QinetiQ comprises teams of dedicated people; experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. We draw on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems. Our people make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don’t you join some of the world’s finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
Job description/Person specification Overall Purpose of the Job:
To provide Systems Engineering leadership to aerospace projects and bids (processes, methods and tools) and to act as designated Technical Lead for specific and appropriate projects.
Initial delivery stream is either within the Combat Air Support Portfolio or Aircraft Engineering Centre capability, however the applicant should be able and willing to undertake other System Engineering work within the Air Domain.
The jobholder is accountable for:
• Day-to-day leadership and management of engineering and technical teams to deliver integrated engineering outputs that meet the customer’s requirements.
• Ensuring that Systems Engineering gains and retains a ‘world class’ standard through continuous improvement.
• Collaboration with Resource Management as required to assign relevant technical work tasks to suitably qualified and experienced personnel.
• Working as a key member of the Systems Engineering team to deliver integrated activities to contracted time, cost and quality.
• Ensuring a consistent approach to the integration of engineering outputs across all platform tasks.
• Ensuring consistency of technical processes, methods and tools for the delivery stream ensuring a coherent integration of engineering activity to meet customer requirements.
• Effective capture and analysis of customer requirements.
• Coordination of bids and estimates, generation of technical/solution strategies (e.g. Evaluation & Test Strategy), Technical Delivery Plans and work breakdown structures to support project cost plans and bids.
• Production of appropriate Technical Assurance plans and ensuring adherence throughout the project lifecycle.
• Identification of project technical risks and assisting the Project Manager with the management of them.
• Compliance with business processes and engineering governance.
Scope and Impact:
• Mentoring of other Systems Engineering staff and activities as required.
• Promoting consistent use of all systems engineering processes, methods and tools.
• Supporting development and retention of a ‘world class’ capability to provide customers with independent technical advice.
• Delivery of integrated engineering output that meets business objectives.
Key Decision making areas of the Position:
• Selection of technical solutions.
• Leadership and management of technical projects.
• Coordination of the integrated technical output from the delivery team, including compliance with regulation.
Successful outcomes of this role:
• Integrated solutions meet customers’ needs
• Governance is applied
• Adapting to evolving processes and news ways of working
• Ensuring project technical governance is appropriate
• Delivery of consistent integrated solutions.
Essential education, qualifications and training:
• Recognised aerospace qualification to at least HNC standard.
• Evidence of further learning and relevant training in air systems and engineering.
• Chartered or Incorporated Engineer, or evidence of progress towards Prof Registration.
Essential knowledge, skills and experience required:
• A good working knowledge of general Systems Engineering principles.
• Excellent people management and communication skills.
• Technical experience within the aerospace domain.
• Ability to make sound judgements on integrated solutions.
• Sound knowledge of technical governance.
Essential personal qualities and behavioural requirements:
• Recognised as a leader
• Good team player with good customer facing presence
• Ability to work well under pressure
• Able to stand behind judgement.
• Engineering degree
• Experience of aerospace design, manufacture and integration
• Chartered or Incorporated Engineer, or evidence of progress towards Prof Registration
• Sound knowledge of the MoD customer and MOD Procurement process.
QinetiQ Systems Engineering Grading
GG10 - Associate
GG11 - Junior
GG12 - Senior
GG13 - Principal
GG14 - Senior Principal
QinetiQ offers an excellent salary and benefits package commensurate with a large international company some of which are highlighted below:-
• Career development across a diverse International organisation
• 50% off meals at selected restaurants , 40% off cinema tickets.
• Modern and collaborative working environment
• Pension - up to 10.5 % Company contributed
• Flexible Working , Social and family events
• Health Cash Plan , Health Screening, Employee Assistance 24/7
• Leading edge technology focus
• Private Medical Insurance and Dental Insurance at additional cost
• Childcare or After School Club , Annual Leave Purchase
• Personal Accident Insurance , Annual Travel Insurance
• Gym and sports facilities available at larger sites
• Payroll Giving and Volunteering - helping charities and local community