Electronic Technician Field Service Engineer
General Dynamics UK is a world-leader in the integration of cutting-edge defence and security systems, delivering decisive advantage to military, government and civil customers worldwide.
Our employee culture is one that thrives on innovation, embraces teamwork and possesses a strong will to succeed. The pioneering technologies and the quality of our people give us our competitive edge. Dynamics is not just part of our name, it’s part of our spirit.
An Electrical/Electronic Field Service Engineer (FSE) a highly adaptable, senior vehicle/Turret electrical/electronics Engineer who can work independently or with other FSEs to provide diverse vehicle/Turret electronics maintenance and specialist advice to MOD and GDLS-UK personnel. The Electrical/Electronic FSE will be based at the GDLS-UK Repair Facility in Merthyr Tydfil, but will normally work at UK Army Units or trials locations throughout the UK, where the AJAX variants are deployed. Whilst based in the UK they could be deployed to support the MOD in foreign countries (e.g. BATUS in Canada) and should also be prepared to work extended hours and some weekends when required.
- Technical focal point for all vehicle/Turret electronic related matters including modifications, Post Design Services (PDS), technical training and defect reporting.
- Assess battle damage, warranty faults and recommend rectification procedures.
- Provision of training to new team members and oversee/advise/mentor MOD AJAX crew personnel and Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (REME).
- Work with design/project engineers to develop optimised engineered solutions. Provide feedback on technical issues and support System and Software Engineers in designing technical resolution.
- Carrying out all levels of repairs on AJAX variants (up to Level 4) and also upgrades / modifications, as per Design changes.
- Perform business support administration (timesheets, procurement of equipment, stocktaking, collect and report data) using provided IT (GDLS-UK and MOD)
- Document, maintain and improve Work Instructions (including strip down, non-destructive testing, etc.)
- Working outside of a 9 to 5 routine both in the UK and overseas (this could involve weekends).
- Deploying for agreed period of time in worldwide locations
- Demonstrable knowledge of automotive/Turret analogue, digital systems, Micro controllers and Digital communications and how they work together (including CANbus electrical systems).
- Highly customer focused with good communication skills.
- IT literate with working knowledge of automotive diagnostic systems.
- Used to working away from home for protracted periods and willing to work several months in demanding locations.
- Ability to share knowledge within the team.
- Practical knowledge of JAMES to record repair activities
- Experience in Tech/Electronic Engineering or related discipline
- Military Electronic Technician Class 1 / NVQ and/or City & Guilds Level 3:City and Guilds Pt1 and Pt2 (Technicians), City and Guilds Pt3 (technicians)
- Armoured vehicle/Turret experience (e.g. Challenger, Warrior, CVR(T), AS90)
- In depth Armoured Fighting Vehicle experience
- HND/HNC in technicians discipline
- Previous CONDO experience
- Advanced Diploma in Engineering and Technology Level 3
- Member of a Professional Institution (e.g. IET, IMechE) with professional recognition.
- Full UK Driving licence including Category H, legally allowed to drive in the UK
GDUK offers a competitive compensation package with opportunities for growth and professional development. A flexible benefits package, 25 days holiday, a compressed fortnight offering every other Friday off and an attractive bonus scheme.