Principal Environmental Engineer
General Dynamics UK is a world-leader in the integration of cutting-edge defence and security systems, delivering decisive advantage to military, government and civil customers worldwide.
Our employee culture is one that thrives on innovation, embraces teamwork and possesses a strong will to succeed. The pioneering technologies and the quality of our people give us our competitive edge. Dynamics is not just part of our name, it’s part of our spirit.
The objective of this role is to continue to develop, support and maintain the General Dynamics Land Systems (GDLSUK) Environment artefacts and management system to enable the GDLSUK equipment programmes to ensure that the best practicable environmental option is employed throughout the programmes lifecycle phases.
- Act as the Environmental Point of Contact within the GDLSUK engineering team.
- Provide pro-active environmental leadership and support to the SV programme throughout the product lifecycle.
- Develop, maintain and manage the Environmental Management Plan.
- Maintain the Environmental Case Reports for all GDLSUK supported equipment.
- Author the Environmental Case Reports for all GDLSUK supported equipment.
- Management of the Environmental Legislation Register and monitor emergent legislation to ensure that GDLSUK remain compliant.
- Assist in the investigation of incidents/accidents to identify root causes and implement control measures to prevent reoccurrence.
- Provide environmental support to the Design and In-Service Safety. Environmental and Legislation Team.
- Where required conduct environmental audits of suppliers.
- Support the SV stakeholder’s community as appropriate.
- Experience in producing and managing environmental management systems in complex multi-platform environment in accordance with relevant legislation and policies at System level, including all primary sub-systems.
- Experience in the application of POEMS through the equipment life cycle.
- Experienced in producing and maintaining compelling system environmental arguments.
- Derivation and setting of appropriate environmental requirements.
- Undertaking identification, analysis and risk assessment of environmental risk using differing techniques.
- Producing robust environmental arguments and reports.
- Familiar with recognized standards and procedures including POEMS, Def Stan 00-051, ISO 14001-2004 and 2015, POEMS and UK, European, US or Canadian legislation.
- Experience of auditing in regards to environmental aspects.
- Level 7 or higher qualification in Environmental Science or similar subject (Degree)
- Lead Auditor Qualification
- Management of Environmental systems in complex defence environment
- POEMS Experience at a minimum level of Practitioner.
- Exposure and experience of Health and Safety in a manufacturing environment
- Practitioner Level membership of the an applicable professional body
- Lead Auditing qualification in Environmental Management System auditing
- NEBOSH General Certificate
GDUK offers a competitive compensation package with opportunities for growth and professional development. A flexible benefits package, 25 days holiday, a compressed fortnight offering every other Friday off and an attractive bonus scheme.