Aviation Safety and Security Engineer
Our award winning Mission Systems Team designs, develops and delivers some of the world’s most advanced aviation mission systems from within our office in Lincoln. As a result of our continued success and business expansion we are delighted to offer an Aviation Safety and Security Engineering opportunity to support the on-going development of our bespoke mission systems.
Working directly for the Aviation Safety Lead the main duties of the role will include:
- Conducting safety and security-risk analysis on Company-designed mission support systems, including Mission Planning Systems and tablet-based obstacle warning, navigation and Electronic Flight Bag products;
- Producing System Safety Analysis Reports and Safety Assessment Reports;
- Producing System Security Analysis Reports and Risk Management and Accreditation Document Sets (RMADS);
- Supporting the on-going maintenance, control and configuration management of all documentation and records relating to the Mission Systems’ Safety Management System;
- Assisting with non-safety engineering tasks including the development of product security-related deliverables, configuration and testing of production systems and assisting Field Support Representatives;
- Assisting project support teams through troubleshooting system issues;
- Undertaking department project activities; and,
- Supporting Mission Systems goals and activities.
The Person. You must be motivated by the challenge of analyzing complex systems in order to identify and control risks in these areas. The successful candidate will be a proactive, flexible and confident individual with excellent attention to detail and the discipline to consistently produce high-quality output whilst committing to the principles of developing high-quality systems to specific standards. As a member of a small highly-skilled team, the responsibilities of the role will necessarily be broad and varied and you should be prepared to assume a comprehensive range of responsibilities. Capable of working with only minimal supervision, you will contribute your own suggestions and ideas. With a ‘can do’ attitude, you will be required to take a flexible, constructive and timely approach to meeting the diverse needs of the Company’s business. You will also have an inquisitive/analytical mind, able to research issues independently and suggest pragmatic, business-focused solutions. We are also looking for candidates to demonstrate a desire to develop professionally within our growing business.
Due to the nature of elements of the role, the successful applicant will be required to complete National Security Vetting which will require criminal record, security service and credit reference checks; qualification will normally require a minimum UK residency of at least 5 years.
Qualifications and Experience:
- A degree in an engineering subject (Safety Engineering, Systems Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Software Engineering or numerate discipline); and;
- Evidence of related engineering experience.
- Up-to-date knowledge of UK safety legislation;
- Knowledge and experience of MAA Regulatory Publications;
- Knowledge and experience of working to the requirements of Def Stan 00-056, Mil-Std 882C and other civil aviation-related standards;
- Knowledge and experience of working in the Defence domain ideally Aviation;
- Knowledge and experience of demonstrating functional safety with air platforms and support systems and associated standards;
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience of Safety and Environmental Engineering techniques:
- Safety Argument development using Goal-Structuring Notation (GSN) or Claims-Argument-Evidence (CAE)
- Functional Failure Analysis (FFA); Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA)/ Failure Modes, Effects and Criticality Analysis (FMECA)
- Fault Tree Analysis (FTA)
- Experience in demonstrating functional safety within software intensive systems and associated standards (e.g. RTCA/DO-178B, RTCA/DO-200A (ED-76), IEC 61508);
- Knowledge and experience in Hazard Log development and management using appropriate support applications such as DOORS.
- Knowledge and experience of producing System Safety Assessment Reports using appropriate support applications such as Adelard ASCE;
- An understanding of the impact of security to system architecture;
- Knowledge of (or willingness to learn) current Information Security Management Principles.
- Knowledge and experience of stakeholder management within the Defence domain;
- Working knowledge of Environmental Testing of physical devices; and
- Expert user of modern office applications (Microsoft Word, Excel, etc.).
- Experience with interface and integration protocols such as: ARINC429, 629, MIL-STD 1553;
- Knowledge and experience of working with Navigation and Mission Planning Systems;
- Knowledge of software development methods and safety-related information systems;
- Knowledge of Civil Aviation EFB standards;
- Experience of system development utilising COTS sub-systems;
- Competent user of IBM Rational DOORS tools; and
- Working knowledge of on-aircraft Integration.
- Working Knowledge of ISO 27001, current National Cyber Security Centre Risk Management Principles or its predecessor Information Risk Management: HMG IA Standard Numbers 1 & 2.
The Location. The post is primarily based in Lincoln but may require the successful candidate to travel occasionally to other sites within the UK, a Full UK Drivers Licence is therefore essential. Provided that the responsibilities of the role are delivered, the incumbent will have considerable freedom to work in accordance with their own discretion and the Company’s best interests
30 days (minimum) paid holiday plus 8 days Bank Holidays per year
Company provided private medical and dental insurance
Annual Profit and Performance Related Pay scheme
Death in service (minimum 100k)
Company contributions into a Group Personal Pension Scheme
Business travel insurance
Funded role specific training and financial assistance with Professional Development
Tax efficient Cycle to Work and Charitable Giving schemes
Equal Opportunities. We genuinely recognise the benefits of a diverse and inclusive working environment. We are also a proud and supportive signatory of the Armed Forces Covenant, offering a Guaranteed Interview Scheme to Service Leavers, Reservists and Military Spouses or Partners (including those of Service Leavers) who meet all our advertised requirements
Apply for Aviation Safety and Security Engineer
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly