Principal Software Engineer
Summary of role
A fantastic opportunity to join Raytheon UK in our brand new Cyber Innovation Team based in Gloucester. We have a wide range of vacancies in our rapidly growing Software Development Team. We operate a Agile/Scrum methodology and you will be involved in the full software development lifecycle, developing solutions using the latest technologies. Working for Raytheon you will be part of a growing team, working alongside world class partner organizations. Raytheon supports on-going professional development through both formal and on-the-job training to help you develop your career and maximize your potential.
Main duties of the position
Basic Objective: To design, develop and maintain mission critical applications and systems
·Design and develop product functionality, user interfaces and performance improvements
·Provide technical solutions to a wide range of difficult problems
·Document designs and advise on product support material
·Contribute to the innovation of new products and services for our customer base
·Develop test plans and methodologies to ensure developed products meet Raytheon quality standards
·Support Estimation activities
·Involvement in the technical planning and management of projects.
·Be involved in, committed to and part of the continuous improvement of software applications and systems
Skills in two or more of the following:
·Java application development
·C/C++ based application development in a Linux environment
·Application development using Java orientated middleware, for example, JEE, Spring, Hibernate, Apache Camel
·Software application development utilizing RDBMS (e.g. Oracle/MySQL) and/or unstructured persistence layers, (e.g. ElasticSearch, MongoDB )
- Experience Working in an Agile/SCRUM/DevOps delivery model
- Experience of scripting languages; Perl, Python, ruby
- Experience with high performance distributed systems
- Experience of Data Analytics and Visualization
- Experience of Big Data Technologies (Hadoop, Pig, Hive, Spark)
- Experience in secure development techniques and tools that produce secure systems
- Understanding of virtualization (e.g. VMWare and Hyper-V)
- Experience of PKI and encryption techniques
- Good interpersonal skills for customer liaison
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Good time management, organization and prioritization skills
- An inquisitive mind and a desire to promote innovation
- A desire to learn and constantly expand your horizons
- Ability to work closely with others in a small team
- Ability to work under pressure
- High degree of initiative and flexibility
- Willingness to travel if required
- Degree in Numerate Subject desirable but not essential.
We are looking for software engineers, with 2 years+ professional experience. Experience of software development in a military or Government project background would be an advantage, but is not essential. A broad knowledge of Information Security "best practice" would also be useful.
Raytheon Cyber Security
Raytheon has decades of experience in cyber, information operations and information assurance to successfully protect our global customers’ critical infrastructure from the most complex threats. Increasing demand for our capabilities has led us to require the building of a new Innovation Centre to support our government, law enforcement and commercial customers. This will create a broad spectrum of new roles to support our customers in developing solutions for cyber security, research and mission support both technical and non-technical.
We are looking for highly motivated individuals who are looking for something different from their career and who are demanding of themselves and others around them to achieve success. Raytheon's ambition is to provide an environment that is more silicon valley than security and defence. We want to encourage individual innovation and progression that is both exciting and rewarding, avoiding the dull 'beige' of the standard information security companies.
If you are looking for a role and a team that will challenge you to achieve success for our customers then providing you have the skills and the ability to achieve Government clearance we want to hear from you today.
- 25 days holiday + statutory holidays
- Contributory Pension Scheme
- Life Assurance
- Flexible Benefits
- Enhanced sick pay scheme
Diversity is a core business imperative at Raytheon. We are an equal opportunity employer that promotes inclusiveness and always employs the best professionals for the job. Having a diverse workforce allows Raytheon to draw upon a range of different ideas and experiences which supports growing our business and creates an environment where everyone has an equal opportunity for success.