Principal Engineer, Common Infrastructure Product
Would you like the chance to play a crucial role in supporting the development of our cutting-edge submarine programmes? We are looking for a Principal engineer with generalist and strong IT skills to join us at our site in Ash Vale, Surrey.
As a Principal Engineer working for the Common Infrastructure Product Team you will be involved in the development, build, production, test and engineering support for the IT network, storage and processing infrastructure on which the combat systems for the UK submarine flotilla are built.
As a generalist engineer (Principal) you will help maintain the Common Infrastructure Product through:
- Participating in engineering projects executed within and engineering lifecycle (decomposition of requirements, design and implementation, unit test)
- Updating and configuring and windows and Linux software products
- Monitoring supplier obsolescence and analysing alternative parts for inclusion into the design
- Maintaining hardware and software design records
- This is a varied role which will cover both design and development of the IT infrastructure for the current and future submarine combat systems.
Your main responsibilities as Principal Engineer, Common Infrastructure Product will involve:
- Investigating and addressing technical issues by modifying existing designs or correcting defects. Accurately tracking and maintaining all change records.
- Developing, configuring and testing software components on COTs hardware ensuring that functional requirements have been met prior to submission into formal test.
- Technical input to the project management team to produce robust cost estimates, technical risk assessment and reduction.
- Producing system specifications derived from technical requirements, decomposing these into system and subsystem design descriptions, and software/hardware specifications. Maturing concept designs to meet designated technology readiness levels. Preparing and presenting design review material at product phase reviews to allow progression through the engineering lifecycle.
- Ensuring traceability of derived requirements to their parent system-level requirements and aiding the test team to produce sufficient quality control evidence to allow the production of the system's certificate of design.
Your skills, qualifications and experience should ideally include the following:
- Hands on engineer from an IT infrastructure background.
- Experience in any of the following: VMware, networking, storage, Windows and Linux configuration and security, Powershell and BASH
- Knowledge of virtualisation, networking and storage.
- Knowledge of engineering lifecycle and development processes.
- Experience in the following would also be advantageous.
- Experience of software development and integration.
- Experience in programming with either C++ or C#.
What we are looking for in you:
You will be a generalist engineer with an eye for hardware/software integration/configuration and show the willingness to get involved and work as part of a team. You will be self-motivated and organised with an innovative approach to problem solving and a focus on delivery. Your strong communication skills will enable you to interface and present to others effectively.
Location: Ash Vale
Benefits: Our employees receive an excellent benefits package which includes a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. We also offer a range of additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and many local and national employee discounts. Some employees may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
BAE Systems is one of the world's leading global defence, security and aerospace companies. We work at the cutting edge of technology, creating more than 100 new inventions every year for customers in over 100 countries
Complex Systems and Support:
Complex Systems and Support (CS&S) is part of BAE Systems Submarines. We predominantly supply to the UK MoD but with smaller derivative work done in support of international Customers. Our team is responsible for system design, build and/or procurement of the major electronic and mechanical systems on a submarine, as well as provision of test, integration and support services.
Innovation is central to our DNA and has produced the Common Combat System (CCS) to address the customer's affordability, technology and capability challenges. It is based on commercial off-the-shelf technology (COTS) coupled with bespoke military hardware and software and is being progressively rolled-out into the UK's Submarine flotilla.
We effectively incorporate rapidly evolving, commercial technology, new capabilities and changes coming from the operational environment into long-term build, maintenance and in-service programmes.
As a 'system of systems' integrator we work closely with our Customer, partners and suppliers to develop and provide innovative, intelligent and value for money solutions across all classes of UK Submarine both in build and in service with the Royal Navy, ensuring our submariners always have world-class, safe, capable and available products.
BAE Systems is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at BAE Systems, including women, BAME and applicants with disabilities. Please note we will not use any personal information relating to your background at any stage of the application process.
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and/or your place of birth may limit those roles that you can perform for the organisation.
Due to the volume of applications we receive, we sometimes close our vacancies early. It is therefore advisable to apply as early as possible if you would like to be considered