Senior Engineer (Mechanical)
Senior Engineer (Mechanical)
BAE Systems Maritime Submarines currently have an opening for a Senior Engineer (Mechanical) within our Physical Design Team. The purpose of this role is to work as part of the Complex Systems and Support Team to deliver the physical design solution across multiple Submarine platforms.
The successful Mechanical Engineer will be leading the physical design activities, which involves the design of hardware such as system enclosures, racks, and cabinets, and their integration into the submarine.
This is an excellent opportunity to influence the design of critical pieces of equipment, which will have a lasting impact on the capability of the Royal Navy for decades to come.
As a Senior Engineer (Mechanical) your main responsibilities will involve:
- Providing technical oversight of design activities for hardware equipment such as enclosures and cabinets
- Managing the requirements flow for hardware design through to internal and external suppliers
- Carrying out acceptance activities for products submitted by supplier organisations
- Generation and management of Installation Guidance information for the Combat System Physical items
- Generation of physical design concepts and solutions for the Combat System
- Generation of technical requirements, installation drawings, and equipment specifications to enable procurement from sub-contractor suppliers
- Problem Solving of complex systems and equipment
- Work in line with the Combat Systems Engineering processes
- Support the review of bids and supplier information
- Liaise with Suppliers and Combat Systems Team Members to agree technical solutions, coherent with the Common Combat System Design.
As a Senior Engineer (Mechanical) your skills and qualifications will ideally include:
- Good understanding of both Electrical and Mechanical principles.
- Experience of resolution of problems encountered during manufacturing/installation activities.
- Self-motivation, collaborative working, strong written and verbal communication skills, and attention to detail
- Knowledge of network and high-performance processing systems design
- Qualification to degree level or as a Chartered Engineer in an appropriate discipline
- If you do not have the skills and experience above, we can develop you into this role if you have some design experience
What we're looking for in you:
We want team players who respect the opinions of others. You will work well in a team and have a common project goal and share in a knowledge sharing culture.
Benefits: Our employees receive an excellent benefits package which includes a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. We also offer a range of additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and many local and national employee discounts. Some employees may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
BAE Systems is one of the world's leading global defence, security and aerospace companies. We work at the cutting edge of technology, creating more than 100 new inventions every year for customers in over 100 countries
Complex Systems and Support:
Complex Systems and Support (CS&S) is part of BAE Systems Submarines. We predominantly supply to the UK MoD but with smaller derivative work done in support of international Customers. Our team is responsible for system design, build and/or procurement of the major electronic and mechanical systems on a submarine, as well as provision of test, integration and support services.
Innovation is central to our DNA and has produced the Common Combat System (CCS) to address the customer's affordability, technology and capability challenges. It is based on commercial off-the-shelf technology (COTS) coupled with bespoke military hardware and software and is being progressively rolled-out into the UK's Submarine flotilla.
We effectively incorporate rapidly evolving, commercial technology, new capabilities and changes coming from the operational environment into long-term build, maintenance and in-service programmes.
As a 'system of systems' integrator we work closely with our Customer, partners and suppliers to develop and provide innovative, intelligent and value for money solutions across all classes of UK Submarine both in build and in service with the Royal Navy, ensuring our submariners always have world-class, safe, capable and available products.
BAE Systems is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at BAE Systems, including women, BAME and applicants with disabilities. Please note we will not use any personal information relating to your background at any stage of the application process.
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and/or your place of birth may limit those roles that you can perform for the organisation.
Due to the volume of applications we receive, we sometimes close our vacancies early. It is therefore advisable to apply as early as possible if you would like to be considered for a role with BAE Systems.