Hardware and Software Development Engineer
Vortex Communications Ltd designs and manufactures video, audio and timekeeping hardware and software for customers across the globe. Our clients span a range of industries, including broadcast, professional AV and law enfocement. Details of our products and services can be found on our website www.vtx.co.uk
Despite being a small team, we have a very strong focus on in-house product research and development and are currently expanding this area of our business.
Our projects are hugely varied in nature, and in many cases customized or bespoke for a particular customer, but the majority involve the real-time transport of audio, video or other data over IP networks. Underlying all our work is an emphasis on dependability and reliability.
We work with cutting-edge technologies including WebRTC, webpack, OpenEmbedded, LTE and AES67. Examples of our products include:
- CallMe browser-based and hardware audio codecs, which are relied upon every day by major broadcasters around the world for live contributions.
- FLX, a networked timing system, which is used by a number of prestigious customers including the UK Parliament, where it times every debate and vote in the House of Commons.
We are looking for a full-time engineer to work alongside our Development Manager in the design and production of new products, as well as further development and support of existing ones. This is a very broad role and includes both electronics and software development (and for many projects, a combination of both). Responsibilities will include:
- Liaising with customers and colleagues to determine requirements (with occasional site visits to customer premises).
- Researching and becoming familiar with the current state of the art in a particular field.
- Designing and developing hardware, including PCB layout, building prototypes and electronics testing and debugging.
- Writing software, including C and C++ for real-time audio and video processing (on a range of platforms from microcontrollers through to AWS servers), and EcmaScript and HTML5 for web front-ends.
- Writing and contributing to product documentation.
- Assisting sales colleagues in the preparation and configuration of products for demonstrations and tradeshows.
- Providing support to other engineering colleagues and second-line support to customers.
The following characteristics are essential for this role:
- Degree or equivalent qualification or experience in electronics, computer science, physics, mathematics or a related discipline.
- A genuine passion for engineering and problem-solving.
- A meticulous eye for detail and the ability to work independently to a very high standard.
In addition, the ideal candidate will have all, or most, of the following:
- Experience of analog and digital hardware design.
- Experience of 4+ layer PCB design including mixed-signal layouts.
- Familiarity with distributed version control systems (e.g. Git or Mercurial).
- Wide experience of IP networking principles and protocols, particularly SIP, RTP and ICE.
- Experience of administering, and developing for, both Linux and Windows systems.
- Familiarity with common scripting languages (e.g. Python, PowerShell, batch files, bash).
- Familiarity with professional audio and video formats and standards.
What We Offer
- A very small, relaxed and friendly office environment.
- The chance to work across an unusually broad range of engineering disciplines and with many high-profile clients.
- The opportunity to see projects all the way through from the initial requirements stage to production and support.
- Flexibility in working from offices either in Ealing (West London) and Somerton (Somerset).
- Short days on Fridays (9am – 3pm).
- 26 days holiday per year (in addition to UK public holidays).
- A generous salary and remuneration package is offered based on experience
Please send applications and CVs below.
Note to Recruitment Agencies
Unless we have entered into a formal contract in writing with your company for the provision of recruitment services, we will not pay any fees for applications received. Furthermore, we reserve the right to retain any such applications on file and contact the applicants directly. By submitting unsolicited applications to us you are deemed to have accepted these conditions.