Principal Manufacturing Engineer (Assurance)
Principal Manufacturing Engineer (Assurance)
Would you like to lead and manage a team of professional Manufacturing Engineers in delivering highly complex, cross functional tasks and products whilst managing stakeholder and customer requirements? We currently have a vacancy for a Principal Manufacturing Engineer (Assurance) at our site in Barrow in Furness.
As a Principle Manufacturing Engineer Governance you will be joining the Manufacturing Engineering team within the Build Delivery Organisation at BAE Systems - Maritime Submarines. You will utilise extensive technical background, and detailed knowledge and experience of working in at least one of the specialist Manufacturing Engineering sub disciplines e.g. Manufacturing Build Planning, Dimensional Management etc, to deliver optimum Production outputs.
Manufacturing Engineering is currently at an early stage of maturity and this role is key to forming the current and future state, through developing, implementing and assuring the governance framework.
Your main responsibilities as a Principal Manufacturing Engineer (Assurance) are as follows:
- To establish and exercise a network route to each member of the Discipline within their area of deployment.
- To ensure that professional standards for the Discipline are known and maintained in the area.
- To perform periodic assessment of and succession planning for signatories against area role requirements.
- To provide guidance on the interpretation, understanding and application of the Discipline processes.
- To perform a first line of governance - e.g. violations of Discipline Processes.
- To ensure (assessing and authorising) the competency of discipline staff to control Discipline outputs in support of operational delivery, in support of signatory appointments.
- To conduct functional audits and process confirmation in order to support Discipline Assurance assessment.
Professional Support & Development
- To establish the Discipline training plan for the Area.
- To ensure that all staff tagged to the Discipline are functionally governed and managed appropriately and effectively with management controls, standards, processes, tool/facilities, technical training and career development.
- To ensure a functional input into the PDR of each member of their Discipline in their Project, particularly for skills development.
- To actively support continuous performance improvement in their Discipline.
- To support professional development moves outside their area by working with their corresponding EPLs and the Discipline Head.
- To champion the deployment of new discipline technologies and methodologies including tools and IT to meet the future needs and improve efficiency.
- To maintain and develop the Management System for their Discipline within the area ensuring that Engineering Processes applicable to the Discipline are correctly deployed.
- To approve demand and manage supply solution for their Discipline within the Area.
- To support recruitment by assessing CVs, conducting interviews and signing off competency i.e. that recruit meets professional standard.
- To provide input to and contribute to review of Manufacturing Engineering Strategy.
Your skills and qualifications:
- Manufacturing Engineering Process Experience
- Experience of using Microsoft packages
- Understanding of through Business processes and product life cycle (including Life cycle management)
- Understanding of various manufacturing methods and principles.
- Trained Auditor.
- Experience in developing a function or discipline
- Manufacturing Execution Systems
What we're looking for in you:
Good Communication skills, as you will be dealing with a wide range of stakeholders. Influential, leadership skills, tight deadlines, planning skills, calm under pressure
Benefits: Our employees receive an excellent benefits package which includes a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. We also offer a range of additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and many local and national employee discounts. Some employees may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
Maritime - Submarines
Our Submarines business has been safely delivering world class submarines to the UK Royal Navy for more than a century.
The Astute class will equip the Royal Navy with its largest and most capable generation of attack submarines. We are responsible for the design, build, test and commissioning of these state-of-the-art vessels. In total, seven boats will make up the fleet, each weighing a mighty 7,400 tonnes.
Dreadnought is the successor to the Vanguard class of nuclear deterrent submarines. We will deliver four submarines to the Royal Navy, with the first submarine entering service in the early 2030s. Dreadnought is widely considered to be one of the world's most complex engineering challenges.
We have sites in Barrow-in-Furness, Filton, Frimley, Ash Vale, Broad Oak and Weymouth, and we pride ourselves on employing the best professionals around. Join us and you'll be part of something important; something you can be proud of.
BAE Systems is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at BAE Systems, including women, BAME and applicants with disabilities. Please note we will not use any personal information relating to your background at any stage of the application process.
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and/or your place of birth may limit those roles that you can perform for the organisation.
Due to the volume of applications we receive, we sometimes close our vacancies early. It is therefore advisable to apply as early as possible if you would like to be considered for a role with BAE Systems.