Join us to be part of the driving force of Defence.
Rolls-Royce pioneers the power that matter. When we talk about innovation within this business, it’s essential we demonstrate how we do this. We don’t just imagine great possibilities – we push boundaries at every stage and bring our innovative ideas to life through impressive engineering. This is how we create brilliance, which we should sell by letting the facts speak for themselves.
We’re the second largest global provider of defence aero-engine products and services globally with 16,000 engines in the service of 160 customers in 100 countries. Our engines power aircraft in every major sector, including: transport, combat, patrol, trainers, helicopters and unmanned aerial vehicles.
To ensure we continue to be pioneers of our industry, Rolls-Royce has a team of over 16,500 engineers around the globe. They include everyone from world experts in their field to those who manage hundreds of people and millions of pounds worth of investments. We recruit engineers at all levels and in a range of disciplines. And while we encourage specialisation, we also offer freedom to cross-specialise and develop skills across a number of different areas for Defence.
Systems, Sub-System & Component Design Engineers are responsible for the definition of new and existing products across the Defence product base, including aerospace and marine.
As a Design Engineer, you will create innovative world-class designs that operate at the extremes of technology and deliver solutions that satisfy customer requirements by balancing product attributes, working with multi-disciplinary teams and using design tools such as PLM (Product Lifecycle Management), CAD and DFMEA (Design Failure Mode Effect Analysis). Your solutions need to be cost-effective, align to project milestones and take into account the full product lifecycle (e.g. manufacture, assembly, operation, repair, test and disposal).
- Collaborating across Engineering Disciplines, including Verification, Manufacturing and Services.
- Ensuring design solutions are tolerant of the environment in which they operate.
- Use systems engineering, robust design, optimisation, integration and innovation tools and processes to achieve the solutions.
- Definition of the mechanical and functional system, sub-systems and components to meet customers' requirements, response to arising issues identified during validation and support to in-service operation of the existing system and sub-systems.
- Technical ownership of the solutions throughout the technical approval process.
Qualifications & Skills:
- You will be educated to degree level in a STEM subject and/ or have experience in a relevant engineering environment (Mechanical, Aeronautical, Electrical or Controls). Other qualifications, in combination with relevant experience, may also be considered- Experience with electrical machinery (desirable)
- Familiar with digital design tools for 3D design, analysis and automation of design processes
- Ability to work accurately and at pace
- Good written and inter-personal skills.
Candidates should be highly numerate with strong technical and analytical skills, problem-solving ability and capable of systems level thinking, including personal drive, excellent communication and presentation skills, and will need to contribute effectively in a team environment. Candidates will be expected to take the lead in identifying project requirements, specifying and executing packages of work.
The ability to achieve UK security clearance may be required for some roles.
We offer excellent development prospects, along with a competitive salary and exceptional benefits. These include employee support assistance and employee discounts.
On site you can benefit from free parking, a subsidised Gym, Canteen/ Café and breakout areas.
At Rolls-Royce UK we also support requests for flexible working arrangements wherever possible
We are an equal opportunities employer.