Structural Systems Design Engineer
Join us to be part of the driving force of Defence.
Rolls-Royce pioneers the power that matter. When we talk about innovation within this business, it’s essential we demonstrate how we do this. We don’t just imagine great possibilities – we push boundaries at every stage and bring our innovative ideas to life through impressive engineering. This is how we create brilliance, which we should sell by letting the facts speak for themselves.
We’re the second largest global provider of defence aero-engine products and services globally with 16,000 engines in the service of 160 customers in 100 countries. Our engines power aircraft in every major sector, including: transport, combat, patrol, trainers, helicopters and unmanned aerial vehicles.
To ensure we continue to be pioneers of our industry, Rolls-Royce has a team of over 16,500 engineers around the globe. They include everyone from world experts in their field to those who manage hundreds of people and millions of pounds worth of investments. We recruit engineers at all levels and in a range of disciplines. And while we encourage specialisation, we also offer freedom to cross-specialise and develop skills across a number of different areas for Defence.
Structural Systems Design Engineers are responsible for understanding, analysing and defining/underwriting the static, vibratory and extreme event behaviour of structural systems including whole engine structural modelling, rotor dynamics and balancing.
Structural System Design Engineers reside either in the Defence capability core team or are deployed in Defence Programmes. The deployed Structural System Design population are members of Defence Programmes teams with deliverables ranging from New Product Introduction to Production and In-Service Engine support. The capability core develops, deploys and maintains tools, methods and processes and provides coaching to support the deployed Structural System Design population.
- Deliver Defence Programme commitments on time, cost and quality
- Perform Structural System Design modelling and analysis in order to define/underwrite the product
- Apply appropriate tools and methods, ranging from hand calculations to analytical design space exploration/optimisation, with an emphasis on simplicity
- Collaborate effectively with Product, Product System, Sub-System and core teams
- Identify opportunities for improvement in tools, methods and processes and support capability core team in development and deployment of enhanced capability
- Communicate technical information effectively with Programme and core teams in written and presentation form
Qualifications and Experience:
- You will be educated to degree level in a STEM subject and/ or have experience in a relevant engineering environment (Mechanical, Aeronautical, Electrical or Controls). Other qualifications, in combination with relevant experience, may also be considered.
- Experience in static and dynamic finite element modelling and analysis (e.g. NASTRAN, NX, Hyperworks) and rotor balancing is highly desirable
- You will be a capable technical communicator in written and presentation forms
- It is desirable for you to be a Chartered Engineer or hold an affiliate/associate membership of a relevant professional body, or be working towards Chartered/Incorporated status
- A broad understanding of Gas Turbine physical and functional characteristics would be advantageous
Candidates should be highly numerate with strong technical and analytical skills, problem-solving ability and capable of systems level thinking, including personal drive, excellent communication and presentation skills, and will need to contribute effectively in a team environment. Candidates will be expected to take the lead in identifying project requirements, specifying and executing packages of work.
The ability to achieve UK security clearance may be required for some roles.
We offer excellent development prospects, along with a competitive salary and exceptional benefits. These include employee support assistance and employee discounts.
On site you can benefit from free parking, a subsidised Gym, Canteen/ Café and breakout areas.
At Rolls-Royce UK we also support requests for flexible working arrangements wherever possible
We are an equal opportunities employer.