Systems Engineer - Design
Systems Engineer - Design
Are you currently a Systems Engineer with an excellent understanding of design principles? Are you looking for a new challenge? Or alternatively, you may be a Systems Architect looking for a change in direction?
We are looking for an individual to join the team here at Portsdown Technology Park. This role will provide you with a varied and interesting workload; every day will provide you with a different challenge.
You will join a growing team of engineering professionals where you will be responsible for providing independent architecting advice and guidance on System Architectures. You will accomplish this through the provision of systems engineering and technical support across a broad range of systems within the military domain.
Your main responsibilities as a Systems Engineer will involve:
- Participate in the architecting activities to develop and maintain Combat System Architecture Models
- Conduct analysis in support of modelling activities to establish implications on service based architecture vision and capture output
- Understand customer requirements to allow generation of requirement text for inclusion in DOORS
- Conduct workshops and formal meetings to capture the context and impact of new capability insertions
- Keep abreast of Combat System advances and major system changes in order to remain current and competent (identify and attend training and in house briefings as appropriate)
- Take ownership of tasking when allocated as Task/Team lead and drive through to conclusion utilising allocated resource appropriately
- Keep the Senior Engineering Manager informed of task progress and delay
Your skills and qualifications as a Systems Engineer:
- Proven experience of complex systems architecture within the naval military domain and a good understanding of the technologies relevant to Combat Systems.
- Ability to understand complex demands from user, customer and align these to operational use and have the ability to see patterns and opportunities for re-use or convergence of concepts.
- Knowledge of current and future Combat System Architectures.
- Proven experience in conducting assessment of existing Systems, modified or new Systems, and embodiment of commercial or military off the shelf systems (COTS & MOTS).
- Experience of Model Based System Engineering (MBSE).
- Ability to support Systems Engineering tasks - requirements capture and analysis, systems integration and testing.
- Working knowledge of current Defence Standards (Def-Stan).
- Knowledge of System Integration in Surface Ships
- Overview of MODAF and modelling concepts.
- Understanding of broader engineering issues and how these impact on Systems Engineering (i.e. Human Factors, Safety, ILS and Security).
- Knowledge in one or more of: radar and sonar, data links, geospatial referencing, communications, command systems and command support systems, weapon systems, Unmanned Vehicle Systems
- Membership of appropriate professional institution (IET, INCOSE); Chartered Engineer / INCOSE CSEP
What we're looking for in you:
- Ability to develop effective partnerships with a variety of stakeholders (internal and external)
- Flexible approach to tasking - Team tasks to be subdivided and allocated within the core team according to specialisation, and managed to a timely conclusion
- Be proactive and adopt a professional approach in dealing with technical issues and colleagues within the business unit and externally
- Ability to handle a diverse set of conflicting personalities
Location: Portsmouth - Portsdown Technology Park
Benefits: Our employees receive an excellent benefits package which includes a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. We also offer a range of additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and many local and national employee discounts.
BAE Systems is one of the world's leading global defence, security and aerospace companies. We work at the cutting edge of technology, creating more than 100 new inventions every year for customers in over 100 countries
We design, develop, integrate and provide through-life support to naval combat systems that enable navies to protect nations. Vital information from ship sensors such as radar and sonar, are captured through our core product, the Combat Management System.
Attracting and retaining the sharpest minds is essential for a globally competitive UK naval engineering business. BAE Systems is an equal opportunities employer and our aim is to recruit the very best talent and we welcome applications from a diverse range of people, from all backgrounds, with many different skills, experience and perspectives. Please note we will not use any personal information relating to your background at any stage of the application process.
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and/or your place of birth may limit those roles that you can perform for the organisation.
Due to the volume of applications we receive, we sometimes close our vacancies early. It is therefore advisable to apply as early as possible if you would like to be considered for a role with BAE Systems.