Electrical Design Engineer
Electrical Design Engineer
Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire, UK
We’re on a mission to make Engineering the first thing that springs to mind when you think of Ocado. We’re trailblazing when it comes to robotics and automated logistics solutions and with our rapid company growth, now’s the time to join us and be part of the ‘Ocado Revolution’.
We now operate across 3 continents, have partnered with multiple retailers (with plans for more) and are working on building new state of the art Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs) across the globe, as well as designing and manufacturing everything that goes inside them. This all starts with our Product Development team, which is where you come in.
We’re looking for an Electrical Design Engineer to join us at our Welwyn Garden City office. You’ll be working as part of a growing team of Electrical Engineers responsible for the design of electrical machines and systems for our growing suite of automated products.
This role is integral in the development of new and also changes/upgrades to existing products and is a fantastic opportunity to grow and develop a career in design engineering - you could be responsible for the next innovation when it comes to robotic cells and pick and place systems!
What you can expect to be doing:
- Selecting and configuring controls, power and safety system architecture for new automation equipment
- Designing automated machines, their sub-systems or their components using control systems, machinery systems and sub-systems
- Specifying and selecting electrical components
- Conducting and participating design review for new product designs and changes/modifications to existing designs
- Solving engineering problems plus relevant investigation activities
- Reviewing outputs from both internal and external design resources
- Advising on test procedures and test rigs
- Support development of design verification test plans
- Ability to select standard components and design automation products
- Experience working on electrical cabinets and control systems for applications
- Evidence of working with suppliers and contract manufacturers
- Experience of full product development lifecycle
- Software - EPLAN, Microsoft Office (Excel and PowerPoint) and Visio
Preferred (in addition to minimum):
- Experience of simulation of electrical systems
- Experience working with Matlab
Want to know more about us?
Have a click around our dedicated Ocado Engineering website for info on the different departments that make up the Engineering function; what we do, what we’re trying to achieve, how we’re planning to get there and the key people involved that you could be working alongside.
Why not also give our LinkedIn page a follow so you can keep up to date?
If YouTube is more up your street, Ocado Engineering has its own channel - take some time out to watch our innovative products in action and hear our people talking about what we do and why you should join us.
If you need more convincing, here’s (some of) what we can offer you:
- Life Assurance
- Private Medical Insurance
- 23 days holiday, increasing to 25 with 3 years’ service
- Employee Assistance Program
- Free Shares
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn schemes
- Discounted shopping on Ocado.com, Smart Pass and destination sites
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Ocado is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employers are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Due to the fast-paced nature of Ocado's business our vacancy close dates may be subject to change.