Application Software Engineer (Dorking & Burton)
Application Software Engineer, Dorking & Burton
Potential for flexible location: Bristol, Plymouth, Gloucester
The world of engineering is changing; our clients require their processes to be fast, scaleable and continuously available at the same time as being well controlled. Excel is no longer king, we need to transform systems into apps which may deployed over a wide variety of assets. In our key markets we are responsible for challenging app development work, this is typically in applied/engineering problems but increasingly we are pursuing public/private cloud deployment.
In this role you will work with people with deep engineering/domain subject matter expertise, being responsible for crafting applications that make this expertise accessible to our clients - transforming the experts ideas, analysis or approaches into deployed software systems. You will:
- Spend a majority of your time defining, iterating and deploying specialist tools, in small teams, but will need to be able to step up to work collaboratively with our clients, as necessary.
- Have responsibility for solving, and potentially leading the development of, challenging software problems in business critical applications.
- Be responsible for developing in a web/hybrid environment, adapting to client operating environments.
- Spend some of your time managing projects, systems and client relationships.
Your competencies could include:
- Developing user facing apps using web/distributed technologies, they could be anything from a client-side Java/Typescript app, ASP .Net driven web app to a backend running on an HPC system.
- Working with, or better implementing, CI/CD pipelines. The more DevOps knowledge you have the better; if you are a master of Jenkins or can leverage Ansible/k8s/Docker then this would be great.
- Some knowledge of software development & maintenance lifecycles, we don't mind what these look like, but agile would be best - we also use waterfall and semi-agile approaches.
- A broader experience or skills in product ownership, test planning, SCRUM leadership.
- Ideally you will have some architectural exposure, and be able to develop file, API and database schemes from the ground up.
Don't forget that we need to make some documentation, work with our clients to sketch out new concepts and plan sprints - so written English and presentation skills are key in these environments.
If you are new to software and can demonstrate some of these competencies and are keen to develop the rest, then we would definitely be interested.
Supporting your technical role
Targeted professional development: an ongoing activity to ensure your technical knowledge stays up to date.
Mentoring: providing you with ongoing guidance and support.
Accredited training: if you have not yet achieved Chartered status we will support you. We offer accredited schemes with:
- The Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE)
- The Royal Aeronautical Society
- The Institution of Engineering and Technology
- Royal Institution of Naval Architects
- Institute of Physics
As part of your benefits package, Frazer-Nash reimburses your membership fees to a professional institution.
What’s on offer
Career satisfaction and reward for ongoing commitment are what you can expect working at Frazer-Nash. We want to help you grow your career by providing you with the best opportunities for training and development. We also have some excellent benefits you'll want to take advantage of. We provide our people with an excellent benefits package that comprises:
- Competitive salary
- 25 days' holiday entitlement
- Holiday sale and purchase scheme
- Company pension scheme
- Targeted professional development
- Life assurance
- Private healthcare membership
- Bonus scheme linked into company performance
- Paid membership fees to a professional institution
- Support in attaining professional membership
- Cycle to work scheme
- Share purchase scheme
- Flexible start and finish time
- Season rail ticket loan
Apply: Please click the apply button below which will take you to an application page on our website.