We’re on a mission to make Engineering the first thing that springs to mind when you think of Ocado. We’re trailblazing when it comes to robotics and automated logistics solutions and with our rapid company growth, now’s the time to join us and be part of the ‘Ocado Revolution’.
We now operate across 3 continents, have partnered with multiple retailers (with plans for more) and are working on building new state of the art Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs) across the globe, as well as designing and manufacturing everything that goes inside them. This all starts with our Product Development team, which is where you come in.
We’re now looking for a Project Engineer, to sit within our Projects team at our engineering office in Welwyn Garden City. As a Project Engineer, you will be responsible for supporting the delivery of automation projects from conceptualisation through to implementation - which could range from working on our robots, to the grid or peripheral systems.
This is an integral role and fantastic opportunity that will support our growth as well as improve efficiencies, and we’re looking for someone that will be able to work alongside Engineering Project Managers effectively in order to support, as well as own, multiple projects that are vital to the success of our business as a whole.
What you can expect to be doing:
- Supporting the Engineering Project Manager with deliverables, timescales and costs of various work packages on large scale projects
- Generation and ownership of stage-gated development plans for smaller projects
- Vendor selection
- Matrix management of appropriate internal departmental resource
- Risk management – identifying opportunities to accelerate development or reduce risk
- Stakeholder management - clear and regular communication of development cycle progress
- Presentations – with the ability to engage both technical and non-technical audiences
- Ensure that engineering activity meets regulatory compliance standards
- Project closure – ensure that products and associated documentation meet the criteria for entry into the product catalogue
Skills/qualifications we need to see:
- An Engineering qualification (HND or Degree level)
- Technical ability relating to automation hardware
- Hands on site experience in installation and commissioning of equipment and systems
- Proven track record in systems or technical design and delivery
- Budget management
- Experience identifying areas for testing from empirical and evidence derived site data
- Experience in assessing and quantifying technical risks and devising appropriate de-risking activities
- Experience quantifying requirements to conform to regulatory compliance standards
Skills/experience that would be nice to have:
- Qualification in technical problem solving skills (such as TRIZ) and root cause analysis.
- Experience with electronics, robotics and vision
Want to know more about us?
- Have a click around our dedicated Ocado Engineering website for info on the different departments that make up the Engineering function; what we do, what we’re trying to achieve, how we’re planning to get there and the key people involved that you could be working alongside.
- Why not also give our LinkedIn page a follow so you can keep up to date?
- If YouTube is more up your street, Ocado Engineering has its own channel - take some time out to watch our innovative products in action and hear our people talking about what we do and why you should join us.
If you need more convincing, here’s (some of) what we can offer you:
- Life Assurance
- Private Medical Insurance
- 23 days holiday, increasing to 25 with 3 years’ service
- Employee Assistance Program
- Free Shares
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn schemes
- Discounted shopping on Ocado.com, Smart Pass and destination sites
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Ocado is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employers are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Due to the fast-paced nature of Ocado's business our vacancy close dates may be subject to change.