We have a fantastic opportunity to join the Seeker and Datalink Systems team as an Antenna Design Engineer, the successful candidate will join our dynamic team to develop antennas for Active Electronically Scanned Arrays (AESA) and wideband passive sensors, working as part of a fast paced programme to deliver new seeker products.
We are looking for an engineer with broad skills in Antenna design including simulation, prototyping and measurement, for a wide range of antenna types and experience in the post-processing of data in Matlab to apply beamforming and Direction of Arrival estimation techniques. The Role
What’s in it for you?
- The role encompasses the detailed design of novel Antennas for the next generation of multimode seekers based on Active Electronically Scanned Arrays and wideband passive sensors for Anti-Radiation Modes (ARM) and cooperative and non-cooperative bi-static radar. Such designs are looking to exploit the latest developments in meta-materials, additive layer manufacturing and high impedance laminates.
- This position involves the design and development of novel antenna sub-system solutions to support higher level product developments. This will encompass creating, analysing and prototyping designs that, whilst constrained by limited available physical space and a harsh operating environment (vibration, shock, thermal, etc.) will still meet tough customer specifications and requirements.
- Electromagnetic modelling, primarily undertaken HFSS although the department has access to CST Studio Suite and FEKO, will involve undertaking complex simulations of antenna arrays in the presence of the Radome and other components such as EO/IR sensors. The results from simulations and measurements will be post-processed in Matlab where beamforming and Direction of Arrival estimation techniques can be applied enabling an assessment of the performance against the design goals defined by the missile guidance requirements.
- Further, the role involves overseeing the transition of development hardware into series production, including robustness testing and qualification testing. Support production by performing technical investigations to provide data for problem assessment, design improvements and support development of solutions to technical issues.
- The role will also involve making technical contributions where extensive and diversified knowledge of antenna principles are necessary; assisting less experienced members of the team as required.
- There will be a demand to work closely with RF Engineers, Seeker Systems team, EO & IR Sensor team and the Guidance, Control and Navigation team, along with other related teams such as Component Engineering, PCB Design/Layout, Mechanical Engineering and Manufacturing.
- Businesses must continuously improve and MBDA is no exception. Identification and implementation of improvement activities and research into the latest technology trends will be part of the role. The activities of the role may span the international boundary and encompass our French and Italian colleagues which will involve the need for international travel
This role provides a unique opportunity to apply your skills within a growing company and multi-skilled team. Exposure to complex and technologically advanced projects and products provides a stimulating experience. Working with highly talented and motivated engineers, in a friendly and supportive environment, provides one of the best environments to further career aspirations and achieve a real feeling of success. What’s great about the team?
Seeker and Datalink Systems is a multi-disciplined, dynamic team, focussed on achieving complex designs to demanding timescales and providing a product that can be used to meet the needs of all our projects.
What are we looking for?
- You will gain experience in seeker technologies and hardware engineering design and integration practices.
- You will be involved in various stages of seeker development from the concept stage through hardware design, development, proving including manufacture.
- There will be opportunities for travel both within the UK and abroad in support of seeker design, integration and manufacture.
- You will have the opportunity for career progression with formal and on the job training.
- The successful candidate will be joining an established dynamic and focussed design team that have a range of skills and experience. The team benefits from a regular intake of graduates and apprentice through a variety of short placements in the various projects and disciplines and offers yearlong industrial placements for undergraduates, many of which choose to accept permanent positions within the team on completion of their training.
- The team have a common goal for the delivery of seeker hardware solutions that meets the customer’s requirements to the schedule and cost agreed. The successful candidate will be able to significantly contribute to meeting the expectations of both MBDA and the customer.
- The project offers the successful candidate the opportunity to work with a specialist team managing technically challenging technology within MBDA and using various specialist suppliers.
High performing teams need high performing and competent individuals. To be suitable for this role, Individuals will be able to demonstrate the majority of the following attributes:
What would you get?
- Likely to be degree qualified in Electronic Engineering, Physics or a closely related subject, preferably specialising in antennas and EM propagation.
- Proven experience in antenna design and product development covering a range of microwave frequencies; experience of UHF and/or frequencies in excess of X-band an advantage.
- Solid knowledge on EM theory and expertise with EM simulation tools such as CST or HFSS; experience of using these tools in a High-Performance Computing Cluster would be an advantage
- Experience with the characteristics and design of various antenna types is required.
- Ability to perform post-processing of data using tools such as Matlab or Mathcad is required.
- Good knowledge of transmission line theory and impedance matching circuits.
- Knowledge of Radar Cross Section analysis and techniques for signature control would be desirable.
- Hands-on experience performing S-parameter measurements and antenna pattern measurements, using anechoic chambers in development and production lab environments observing ESD precautions and quality controls, including an ability to instruct external test houses, is essential.
- A good understanding of the complete product development process preferably for defence products is desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver on-time and build good working relationships with team members and external departments, suppliers and customers, acting as a team leader when required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills being able to communicate with all levels effectively; able to challenge, negotiate and influence to achieve a desired goal/outcome.
- Competitive salary, flexible working, paid overtime (subject to level), a comprehensive pension scheme, employee funded voluntary private healthcare, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, bonus schemes (subject to level) and superb learning and development opportunities.
: MBDA UK require all employees to achieve and maintain SC security clearance or above without restrictions that will inhibit the individual’s ability to fulfil the requirements of the role. Your eligibility for the appropriate level of security clearance may be discussed with you during the recruitment process. Any existing clearance holders may be able to transfer clearance (subject to approval). Are you a member of LinkedIn? If so, you are invited to join our LinkedIn Group to view future MBDA UK opportunities and news.LinkedIn Group name: Engineering UK (Defence)