We’re on a mission to make Engineering the first thing that springs to mind when you think of Ocado. We’re trailblazing when it comes to robotics and automated logistics solutions and with our rapid company growth, now’s the time to join us and be part of the ‘Ocado Revolution’.
We now operate across 3 continents, have partnered with multiple retailers (with plans for more) and are working on building new state of the art Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs) across the globe, as well as designing and manufacturing everything that goes inside them. This all starts with our Product Development team, which is where you come in.
We’re now looking for an Electrical & Electronics Systems Manager, to sit within our Design team at our site in Welwyn Garden City. In this position, you’ll be responsible for managing a team of engineers (around 15 to 20) that look after the design of electro-mechanical machines and products that are required for systems in our CFCs. If you’re an accomplished electrical and/or electronics Manager who has demonstrable people management skills, as well as practical experience in the design of electrical and/or electronic sub-systems, this is a fantastic opportunity not to be missed.
What you can expect to be doing:
- Lead a team of design engineers and CAD engineers who are responsible for designing electrical and electronic products for complex automation systems
- Visit relevant sites and work with site teams to identify issues, solutions and improvements required on current products
- Maintain the engineering quality and integrity of the work produced within the mechanical design teams’ work package
- Actively engage in new product development, cost reduction opportunities and continuous improvement for current products
- Review input specification, coordinate various design reviews and design output reviews
- Deep dive into the design details and guide teams to identify and mitigate risk via modelling, proof of concept, simulation etc
- Drive design quality and improvements for internal and any designs contracted out to external vendors.
- Review various standards as applicable for the design and safety, and ensure that all designs conform to the requirements
- Practical experience and thorough knowledge of applying the standards relating to the Machinery Directive
- Support team in generating the supporting calculations required for a Technical File and Certification (CE, UL CSA or other)
- Proficient in understanding the effects of the accumulated variation i.e tolerance stack up and manufacturing tolerances.
- Support design manager for the day to day supervision of direct reports (including 1-on-1 meetings, team meetings, timesheet authorisation, holiday approval, sickness/absence meetings, goal and objective setting, personal development plans & appraisal reviews)
Skills/qualifications we need to see:
- Experience in designing and developing products from concept to production within an electro-mechanical design environment
- Credible experience in leading similar sized teams
- Involved with release of products into manufacturing and stabilising designs, also in a new product development environment
- Experience of approving and signing off drawings
- Experience of problem solving and root cause analysis
- Set electrical and electronics engineering best practice within the product development team
- Demonstrated ability to support/manage both internal and external design resources
- Will have at least an Engineering Degree in Engineering or equivalent.
- Previous skills in computer aided design (CAD) preferably using Altium, EPlan or similar software
- Experience of delivering work packages to time and budget constraints
Skills/experience that would be nice to have:
- Design of automated material handling systems
- Experience in design for manufacturing and virtual assembly
- Fully conversant with relevant regulatory and safety standards to design CE / UL and CSA compliant products
- Experience of system/component reliability and working with predictive models (reliability block diagrams)
Want to know more about us?
- Have a click around our dedicated Ocado Engineering website for info on the different departments that make up the Engineering function; what we do, what we’re trying to achieve, how we’re planning to get there and the key people involved that you could be working alongside.
- Why not also give our LinkedIn page a follow so you can keep up to date?
- If YouTube is more up your street, Ocado Engineering has its own channel - take some time out to watch our innovative products in action and hear our people talking about what we do and why you should join us.
If you need more convincing, here’s (some of) what we can offer you:
- Life Assurance
- Private Medical Insurance
- 23 days holiday, increasing to 25 with 3 years’ service
- Employee Assistance Program
- Free Shares
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn schemes
- Discounted shopping on Ocado.com, Smart Pass and destination sites
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Ocado is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employers are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Due to the fast-paced nature of Ocado's business our vacancy close dates may be subject to change.