Manufacturing Quality Engineer (12 month FTC)
We’re on a mission to make Engineering the first thing that springs to mind when you think of Ocado. We’re trailblazing when it comes to robotics and automated logistics solutions and with our rapid company growth, now’s the time to join us and be part of the ‘Ocado Revolution’.
We now operate across 3 continents, have partnered with multiple retailers (with plans for more) and are working on building new state of the art Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs) across the globe, as well as designing and manufacturing everything that goes inside them. This all starts with our Product Development team, which is where you come in.
We’re looking for a Manufacturing Quality Engineer to join us on an initial 12 month contract, based at a site in Blyth, Newcastle. In this role, you’ll be responsible for putting in place the appropriate quality frameworks with suppliers, including system and component testing, operating procedures and quality plans, to allow product handover to be successful. You will identify, investigate and address manufacturing quality issues during the product’s pre-production stage.
While this role will be based in Newcastle, the rest of the Manufacturing Development team is based at our Engineering office in Welwyn Garden City. Some flexibility with regards to travelling to different sites is likely to be required.
What you can expect to be doing:
- Identify and implement best practices both internally and with suppliers
- Put in place and verify the supplier’s quality framework
- Assist qualification of new manufacturers or processes
- Identify key critical parameters to be monitored at the manufacturer’s site and agree test and reporting methods with suppliers
- Ensure that the suppliers test capability is at an acceptable level, including process such as measurement systems analysis where appropriate
- Manage the creation and implementation of process capability charts and reports
- Identify key statistical process controls (SPC) parameters and work with suppliers to ensure adequate monitoring and reporting
- Ensure that any manufacturing quality issues identified in pre-production trials are addressed prior to handover
- Actively participate in the Patent process for Ocado Engineering.
Skills/qualifications we need to see:
- An engineering/science qualification
- Experience in design for manufacture and manufacturing quality in areas such as industrial equipment, instrumentation, high volume manufacture or FMCG
- Experience in value engineering
- Experience in continuous process improvement
- Experience of process capability, statistical process controls (SPC) and critical parameter management
- Quality tools: FMEA; FAST; Critical Parameters; 6 Sigma
- Demonstrates awareness and application of analytical tools to aid the manufacturing process
- Ability to build relationships from shop floor to management level, identify and clearly communicate key information and tailor the communication for the audience
- Prioritise issues, communicate reasoning and negotiate for resources when needed
- Both technical and commercial awareness
- Ability to write work instruction and technical reports
Want to know more about us?
- Have a click around our dedicated Ocado Engineering website for info on the different departments that make up the Engineering function; what we do, what we’re trying to achieve, how we’re planning to get there and the key people involved that you could be working alongside.
- Why not also give our LinkedIn page a follow so you can keep up to date?
- If YouTube is more up your street, Ocado Engineering has its own channel - take some time out to watch our innovative products in action and hear our people talking about what we do and why you should join us.
If you need more convincing, here’s (some of) what we can offer you:
- Life Assurance
- Private Medical Insurance
- 23 days holiday, increasing to 25 with 3 years’ service
- Employee Assistance Program
- Free Shares
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn schemes
- Discounted shopping on Ocado.com, Smart Pass and destination sites
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Ocado is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employers are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Due to the fast-paced nature of Ocado's business our vacancy close dates may be subject to change.