Ocado is no longer just an online grocery retailer – we are the world leader in automated logistics solutions, growing at a rapid rate and engaging in exciting new business partnerships in the UK and internationally.
The Product Development team develops innovative engineering solutions for the Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs) of the future. Due to our continual growth, we're now looking for a Production Engineer to join us at our CFC in Erith.
The Production Engineering team is a critical part of the Product Development Team, responsible for the rapid containment and resolution of product issues encountered on our large portfolio of products across Ocado sites in the UK and internationally. You will work alongside our site teams, engineering operations team and design team to drive robust solutions in a fast-paced high throughput environment.
A typical system includes a precision structure the size of several football pitches, which houses millions of products in tens of thousands of bins stacked to the roof. Thousands of high speed robots run on the structure to interface with a variety of high throughput work stations performing different functions. Additionally there is an array of supporting products including robots that recover other robots!
Working across all of these systems means your work will make a tangible difference to the success and profitability of Ocado as a business.
What you can expect to be doing:
- Providing rapid containment and resolving issues with electro-mechanical equipment in our CFCs
- Change try out and verification of the robustness of the solution
- Creating the documentation packs to enable rollout of your solutions by our implementation teams
- Keeping the key stakeholders informed of progress of a portfolio of containments and fixes
- Closing the loop with feedback to our design teams to drive the continuous improvement of our products
Skills/qualifications we need to see:
- An engineering qualification, to HND or Degree level
- A proven track record of solving complex engineering problems in a fast paced production environment
- The ability to apply structured problem solving techniques to identify the real issue (Six Sigma qualification or training preferred)
- The ability to devise tests and utilise tools to capture the relevant data
- Proven track record of solving complex mechanical/electrical/electronics/manufacturing/reliability issues
- Highly collaborative nature
- The drive and innovation to deliver rapid resolution to engineering problems
- Experience and ability to manage internal design and engineering resource as well as external suppliers
- Ability to communicate progress in a structured manner to an audience of varying technical levels
- Understanding of product reliability and reliability testing
Want to know more about us?
- Have a click around our dedicated Ocado Engineering website for info on the different departments that make up the Engineering function; what we do, what we’re trying to achieve, how we’re planning to get there and the key people involved that you could be working alongside.
- Why not also give our LinkedIn page a follow so you can keep up to date?
- If YouTube is more up your street, Ocado Engineering has its own channel - take some time out to watch our innovative products in action and hear our people talking about what we do and why you should join us.
If you need more convincing, here’s (some of) what we can offer you:
- Life Assurance
- Private Medical Insurance
- 23 days holiday, increasing to 25 with 3 years’ service
- Employee Assistance Program
- Free Shares
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn schemes
- Discounted shopping on Ocado.com, Smart Pass and destination sites
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Ocado is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employers are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Due to the fast-paced nature of Ocado's business our vacancy close dates may be subject to change.