We’re on a mission to make Engineering the first thing that springs to mind when you think of Ocado. We’re trailblazing when it comes to robotics and automated logistics solutions and with our rapid company growth, now’s the time to join us and be part of the ‘Ocado Revolution’.
We now operate across 3 continents, have partnered with multiple retailers (with plans for more) and are working on building new state of the art Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs) across the globe, as well as designing and manufacturing everything that goes inside them. This all starts with our Product Development team, which is where you come in.
We’re looking for an Engineering Project Manager to join us at our engineering office in Welwyn Garden City. In this role, you’ll have technical responsibility for the delivery of automation projects to support growth, reduce operating costs and improve efficiencies for our 24/7 CFCs. These projects could range from working on our robots, grid or peripheral systems at the design, manufacturing or roll out stage and this position is integral to their successful delivery to the wider business.
What you can expect to be doing:
- Generating stage gated development plans in order to manage the process through the planning, execution, control and closing stages
- Defining project milestones and managing development programmes within budget and to timescales
- Vendor selection (and management) - ensuring that appropriate and effective suppliers are in place
- Risk management – owning and management of technical risk register
- Taking product business requirements and turning into technical requirements, ensuring resource required is sufficient to achieve the end goal
- Effective stakeholder management - communicating developing cycle process
- Ability to give effective and engaging presentations on engineering topics to technical and non-technical stakeholders (up to and including Board level)
- Project closure – ensuring that product and associated documentation meet the criteria for entry into the product catalogue
Skills/qualifications we need to see:
- An Engineering qualification, to HND or Degree level
- Good technical ability (or experience) relating to automation hardware
- Proven track record in system or technical design and delivery
- Experience in managing project budgets
- Ability to quantify or qualify project risk against business impact and take appropriate decisions
- Very good negotiation skills
- Experience in vendor selection
- Experience in making tactical and strategic based decisions
- Experience in giving effective presentations to stakeholders
Skills/experience that would be nice to have:
- Experience with electronics, robotics and vision
- A project management qualification., (APM PMQ or PRINCE2)
Want to know more about us?
- Have a click around our dedicated Ocado Engineering website for info on the different departments that make up the Engineering function; what we do, what we’re trying to achieve, how we’re planning to get there and the key people involved that you could be working alongside.
- Why not also give our LinkedIn page a follow so you can keep up to date?
- If YouTube is more up your street, Ocado Engineering has its own channel - take some time out to watch our innovative products in action and hear our people talking about what we do and why you should join us.
If you need more convincing, here’s (some of) what we can offer you:
- Life Assurance
- Private Medical Insurance
- 23 days holiday, increasing to 25 with 3 years’ service
- Employee Assistance Program
- Free Shares
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn schemes
- Discounted shopping on Ocado.com, Smart Pass and destination sites
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Ocado is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employers are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Due to the fast-paced nature of Ocado's business our vacancy close dates may be subject to change.