Failure Analysis Engineer
We’re on a mission to make Engineering the first thing that springs to mind when you think of Ocado. We’re trailblazing when it comes to robotics and automated logistics solutions and with our rapid company growth, now’s the time to join us and be part of the ‘Ocado Revolution’.
We now operate across 3 continents, have partnered with multiple retailers (with plans for more) and are working on building new state of the art Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs) across the globe, as well as designing and manufacturing everything that goes inside them. This all starts with our Product Development team, which is where you come in.
We’re now looking for a Failure Analysis Engineer to join us at our CFC in Erith (travel to and working out of our Welwyn Garden City site will also be required as per business need). You’ll be part of a wider team of Failure Analysis, Reliability and Verification Engineers, with the business critical responsibility of leading investigations into technical issues, product failures and defects. This role is integral to the ongoing improvement and development of the highly innovative and automated products in our CFCs, and has a direct impact on the profitability of our business.
This is a fantastic opportunity for somebody looking for the next step in their Failure Analysis career that wants to use their skills in a highly cutting edge environment alongside other talented engineers. It's an opportunity not to be missed!
What you can expect to be doing:
- Lead identification of root cause investigations using appropriate problem-solving strategies
- Investigate/troubleshoot for quality and technical issues, including onsite visits as required
- Analyse product failures, non-conformances, concerns and defects found and investigate root cause and implement improvement processes
- Design and execute product development trials utilising design of experiment (DoE) principles
- Identify and introduce suitable test and inspection methods using appropriate equipment and gauging and benchmark against best practice and relevant standards including measurement system analysis and calibration control
- Lead Continuous improvement using DFSS, EMS, Kaizen, Lean and Six Sigma problem solving
Skills/qualifications we need to see:
- HNC/ degree in an engineering discipline, Computer Science, Physics or Mathematics
- Proficient in applying DMAIC methodology to projects, processes and products
- Experience with structured problem solving tools (e.g. VSM, 8D, 5S, Fishbone)
- Proficient in the use of Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Ability to analyse data for trends and identify opportunities for improvement
- Ability to conduct technical experiments and interpret the results correctly
- Ability to produce and present technical findings across all business levels
- Proactive and a ‘Completer-Finisher’ personality
Skills/experience that would be nice to have:
- Certified Green Belt in Lean Six Sigma
Want to know more about us?
- Have a click around our dedicated Ocado Engineering website for info on the different departments that make up the Engineering function; what we do, what we’re trying to achieve, how we’re planning to get there and the key people involved that you could be working alongside.
- Why not also give our LinkedIn page a follow so you can keep up to date?
- If YouTube is more up your street, Ocado Engineering has its own channel - take some time out to watch our innovative products in action and hear our people talking about what we do and why you should join us.
If you need more convincing, here’s (some of) what we can offer you:
- Life Assurance
- Private Medical Insurance
- 23 days holiday, increasing to 25 with 3 years’ service
- Employee Assistance Program
- Free Shares
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn schemes
- Discounted shopping on Ocado.com, Smart Pass and destination sites
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Ocado is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employers are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Due to the fast-paced nature of Ocado's business our vacancy close dates may be subject to change.