Salary: £32k-£50k DOE + Bonus + Excellent Benefits What`s the opportunity?
MBDA has entered the next phase of its exciting evolution as a world class and dominant European missile company. The growing workload within MBDA has created exciting opportunities within the Electronics Design Function for a RF NPI engineer to develop a long term career owning all technology and design for manufacture aspects of RF PCB and component technology introduction from concept through to introduction into manufacturing. The RF NPI Engineer will be responsible for providing a design that is manufacturable to cost and time, meets the technical design requirements and will be reliable in the end environment.
The Electronics Design Function is tasked with supplying a full range of design activities for our complete range of missile systems covering land, air and naval systems. What will you be doing?
The role encompasses knowledge and skills in each of the relevant skill areas and provides a service to the design engineers providing input and developing the manufacturing process as design activities progress. It is a key role providing advice on design for manufacture / assembly and design for reliability issues working with multiple stakeholders around the business to manage the introduction of the technology and product into the manufacturing facility.
The RF NPI engineer will be working cross project teams and will have some international working, liaising and influencing non-UK teams working on similar technologies and design projects to ensure best practice and technology needs are identified and managed to provide repeatable processes for manufacture.
The skill areas are:
- RF PCB Assembly Technology – the understanding of PCB assembly processes, such as wire bonding, embedded components, duroid assembly processes, SMT, soldering, selective soldering, conformal coating, under fills, component technologies.
- PCB fabrication would be desirable.
- Project management – the understanding of good communication and being able to deliver a project into manufacturing without inherent design issues impacting manufacturing’s ability to achieve cost and rate targets.
Businesses must continuously improve and MBDA is no exception. Identification and implementation of improvement activities will be part of this role. The activities of the role will span the international boundary and encompass our French and Italian colleagues. What are the benefits for you?
This role provides a unique opportunity to broaden technically within a growing company and high capability design teams. Exposure to complex and technologically advanced projects and products provides a stimulating experience. Working with highly talented and motivated engineers, in a friendly and supportive environment, provides one of the best environments to further career aspirations and achieve a real feeling of success. What’s great about joining this team?
The PCB and Interconnects Technology Group are focussed on specific technologies and provide expertise to the design population in their specialist subject. This specialist team is well respected, supportive and operate in a friendly environment both within the team and also within the greater Electronics function. There are plenty of opportunities to learn, take ownership and expand personally to the level of experience and aspiration that one may have. Who and what we are looking for from you?
High performing teams need high performing and competent individuals.
To be suitable for this role, Individuals will be able to demonstrate a number of the following attributes:
What would you get?
- Have experience in PCB assembly technology through either a PCB fabrication house or a PCB assembly house or other closely related experience with a specific focus on:
- Experience of RF layout and SI design techniques
- High performance interconnect technologies for RF
- Familiar with RF simulation tools, 2D and 3D
- Experience with:
- ‘Active copper features’ Planar windings, Antennas
- Embedded strip line and other impedance tracking
- Design optimisation – via stubs, matched length routing
- Will ideally have a minimum qualification in Electronics or a closely related subject. This could be ONC, HNC etc.
- Have experience in working closely with a design and manufacturing environment advising on PCB assembly design for manufacture and PCB layout technologies with a specific focus on RF.
- Have experience delivering designs into a manufacturing environment and establishing the capability to ensure the design can be manufactured to time and cost.
- Ability to clearly communicate to mechanical & electronic designers any PCB or PCBA limitations associated with their initial proposals and influencing the adoption of alternative solutions in line with best practice.
- Work to tight or critical timescales, identifying and addressing critical aspects as a priority
- RF Production engineering / process engineering background
- Have excellent verbal communication and written communication skills
- Pro-activeness, motivation, ability and tenacity to deliver a task on time and to cost.
- Competitive salary, flexible working, paid overtime (subject to level), a comprehensive pension scheme, employee funded voluntary private healthcare, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, bonus schemes (subject to level) and superb learning and development opportunities.
: MBDA UK require all employees to achieve and maintain SC security clearance or above without restrictions that will inhibit the individual’s ability to fulfil the requirements of the role. Your eligibility for the appropriate level of security clearance may be discussed with you during the recruitment process. Any existing clearance holders may be able to transfer clearance (subject to approval). Are you a member of LinkedIn? If so, you are invited to join our LinkedIn Group to view future MBDA UK opportunities and news.LinkedIn Group name: Engineering UK (Defence)