Principal Software Engineer
Raytheon UK is seeking a Principal Software Engineer to join a Programme Engineering team in our Defence Intelligence Services (DIS). The role will see the Principal Software Engineer develop and deliver a wide range of mission critical applications to our defence and intelligence customers. This will involve both the development of custom software as well as the integration of COTS and bespoke software. Dedicated development, test and integration environments are available to support problem investigation and resolution as well as distribution of new software releases.
This role offers a skilled and motivated Software Engineer an exciting opportunity to join the DIS team at a very exciting time. The successful candidate will find themselves working on programmes at various stages of the development lifecycle, from requirements analysis through to design, build, test and acceptance into live service. This will also be an opportunity to get involved with the transformation of our approach from traditional waterfall processes to an agile process where we will be partners with our customers rather than traditional defence suppliers. The role will also include the opportunity to work with our supplier base specifying and supporting the integration and testing of the third party subsystem deliverables.
- To design, develop and maintain mission critical applications
- Design and develop product functionality, user interfaces and performance improvements
- Key interface to external customers and suppliers
- Lead scrum\\team meetings
- Responsible for reviewing team members deliverables and providing feedback & guidance
- Act as lead engineer for small/medium programmes or subsystems within larger programmes
- Support Estimation activities
- Support technical planning and management meetings
- Provide software metrics to the programme
- Current holder of or eligibility to obtain MoD DV level security clearance
Skills in two or more of the following:
- Java application development
- C/C++ based application development in a Linux environment
- Application development using Java orientated middleware, for example, JEE, Spring, Hibernate, Apache Camel
- Software application development utilizing RDBMS (e.g. Oracle/MySQL) and/or unstructured persistence layers, (e.g. ElasticSearch, MongoDB )
- Expertise in J2EE development - specifically with web application development
- Experience Working in an Agile/SCRUM/DevOps delivery model
- Experience of scripting languages; Perl, Python, ruby
- Experience with high performance distributed systems
- Experience of Data Analytics and Visualization
- Experience of Big Data Technologies (Hadoop, Pig, Hive, Spark)
- Experience in secure development techniques and tools that produce secure systems
- Understanding of virtualization (e.g. VMWare and Hyper-V)
- Experience of PKI and encryption techniques
Raytheon UK is a subsidiary of Raytheon Company. We are a prime contractor and major supplier to the UK Ministry of Defence and have developed strong capabilities in mission systems integration in defence, National & Cyber security and commercial markets. Raytheon UK also designs, develops and manufactures a range of high-technology electronic systems and software solutions at its facilities in Harlow, Glenrothes, Gloucester, Manchester Waddington and Broughton.
Raytheon Company, with 2017 sales of $25 billion and 64,000 employees, is a technology and innovation leader specialising in defence, civil government and cybersecurity solutions. With a history of innovation spanning 95 years, Raytheon provides state-of-the-art electronics, mission systems integration, C5ITM products and services, sensing, effects, and mission support for customers in more than 80 countries. Raytheon is headquartered in Waltham, Massachusetts.
Raytheon Career Development
Raytheon has a wealth of resources available to help you develop your career from the moment you join. Activities range from on-line learning modules, to external training and support for taking professional qualifications relevant to your role.
- 25 days holiday + statutory holidays
- Contributory Pension Scheme (up to 10.5% company contribution)
- 6 times salary ‘Life Assurance’
- Flexible Benefits scheme with extensive salary sacrifice scheme’s
- Enhanced sick pay scheme
- Enhanced Family Friendly Policies, including enhanced Maternity, Paternity & Shared Parental leave.
- 37 hour working week with an early finish Friday. Flexible working arrangements may be considered depending on the role and subject to line manager approval.
- Canteen facilities available at Harlow and Glenrothes sites with free snacks and drinks (hot and cold) available at others
Diversity is a core business imperative at Raytheon. We are an equal opportunity employer that promotes inclusiveness and always employs the best professionals for the job. Having a diverse workforce allows Raytheon to draw upon a range of different ideas and experiences which supports growing our business and creates an environment where everyone has an equal opportunity for success. Raytheon UK pro-actively encourages diversity of ideas, thoughts, and networking opportunities and has created Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) including Raytheon Women's Network, YesNet (Young Employees Success Network), D&I counsel and Reservist Network which all Raytheon employees are welcome to participate in.
More searches like this
- Design Software & Hardware jobs in Senior & Chartered Engineer
- Maintenance & Service Software & Hardware jobs in Senior & Chartered Engineer
- Systems Software & Hardware jobs in Senior & Chartered Engineer
- Other Software & Hardware jobs in Senior & Chartered Engineer
- Research and Development Software & Hardware jobs in Senior & Chartered Engineer