Senior Safety Engineer
General Dynamics Mission Systems engineers a diverse portfolio of high technology solutions, products and services that enable customers to successfully execute missions across all domains of operation. With a global team of more than 13,000 top professionals, we partner with the best in industry to expand the bounds of innovation in the defence and scientific arenas. In the UK, we employ more than 1,400 people and are leading the way in Armoured Fighting Vehicles, avionics and communication systems. Given the nature of our work and who we are, we value trust, honesty, alignment and transparency.
We believe in maintaining a diverse workplace – inclusive of beliefs, cultural background, job experiences, thoughts and ideas. If who we are and what we do resonates with you, we invite you to join our high performance team
Working as Project Subject Matter Expert and Safety Engineering Delivery Agent for a specific GDUK Programme or collection of projects.
The successful candidate will display a sound knowledge of System Safety within an MOD Land System or closely aligned domain and demonstrate the ability to apply its principles. They will be capable of discharging responsibility for the conduct of safety and safety assurance requirements and the supervision of system safety at a “Practitioner” level.
- Capable of working independently to successfully deliver the Programme and Business specified deliverables for Safety and Environmental Engineering.
- Governance and line management reporting to the Head of Safety - Mission Systems.
- Programme / Project reporting as required for an assigned task.
- Research, establish and communicate Project Safety and Environmental requirements applicable to a Products, Services and Systems (PSS).
- Identify and champion the Safety and Environmental drivers for a PSS.
- Contribute to Design and Project Reviews.
- Assess technical and programmatic impacts of changes to the PSS.
- Work in accordance with the GDMS-UK Business Management System and the working practices established by the Head of Safety.
- Establishment and maintenance of the PSS Safety Case.
- Coordinate and run Safety Meetings as required in the establishment of the PSS Safety Case.
- Maintain technical competence and Continued Professional development in the area of Defence System Safety and Environmental Engineering
- Developing Safety Plans and Strategies compliant with the requirements of Def Stan 00-55 and 00-56.
- Develop Safety Arguments using Goal Structured Notation (GSN)
- Demonstrable practitioner level experience/competence in Safety Engineering for PSS, or a background that provides the equivalent transferrable experience/competence.
- Demonstrable ability to deliver Safety Engineering Safety and Environmental Deliverables for a MOD Land Domain programme.
Competence in the following areas:
- System and product Safety Case Plans and Reports
- Software Safety
- Environmental Management
- Fault Tree and Event Tree Analysis
- Modular Safety Cases and Goal Structuring Notation (GSN)
- Safety Integrity Levels (SILs) Setting requirements for PSS
- Legislative compliance and knowledge of current/future safety and environmental legislation
GDUK offers a competitive compensation package with opportunities for growth and professional development. A flexible benefits package, 25 days holiday, a compressed fortnight offering every other Friday off and an attractive bonus scheme.