MBDA Missile Systems - Deliver For A More Secure Tomorrow
MBDA is the only European group capable of designing and producing missiles and associated systems able to meet the whole range of current and future needs of the three armed forces (land, sea and air). Growing export sales and the build-up of strategic partnerships outside Europe has propelled MBDA into the next phase of its exciting evolution as a world class Missile Company.
MBDA is Europe’s dominant guided weapons company, with some of the most sophisticated technology in the defence sector. To sustain that position we continually look to broaden our existing talent base and maintain a strategic edge and are looking for a highly capable, adaptable Embedded Software Design & Development Engineer to join us at our Development Facility in Stevenage.
The Embedded Software team is tasked with supplying a full range of hard real time software solutions for the next generation of missiles. This unique and exciting opportunity will allow you to develop technical and leadership skills across our broad range of products.
This is a principle role enabling you to improve and apply your technical leadership skills across our range of embedded solutions responding to the functional and performance requirements associated with our complex products.
The role is particularly applicable to a person with the skills to lead a team of embedded software developers focusing on Actuators, Datalinks and Telemetry Subsystems and a proven ability to deliver complex software solutions to demanding customers.
In this role you will be:
What’s in it for you?
- Responsible for the design development and delivery of software for a number of embedded missile systems.
- Leading a team of professional engineers that are specialists in hard real time software development.
- Working closely with the Group Lead and software architects to ensure consistency and technical excellence in the software produced.
- Ensuring that our principles of design for modularity and re-use are applied effectively and efficiently.
- Ensuring application of software development plans and configuration control are used in accordance with our strategic approach across the group.
- Working closely with the Missile Design Authority to ensure clear and concise requirements are in place supporting optimal design solutions to be delivered.
What’s great about the team?
- This is a great role for an enthusiastic individual looking to improve their engineering skills.
- You will be working with teams in both the UK and wider international Software Engineering organisation, ultimately supporting the development of safe, secure and reliable products that our customers can rely on. Consequently there may be the opportunity to travel both within the UK and to our sites in France and Italy.
- We offer a supportive working environment with the opportunity to develop your skills at an exciting time for Software Engineering in the wider business.
What are we looking for?
- The Stevenage site encompasses approx. 110 Software developers of which about 50 engineers specialise in all aspects embedded real-time systems. These skills are co-located providing an atmosphere of supportive cooperation and interdependence whose strengths are well placed to face the challenges of the future.
- The Embedded Software department develops the software that drives some of the most advanced missile systems in the world. The department applies small, focused teams of engineers to complex problems, contributing to a talented group of experienced software, systems and electronics engineers developing very interesting, technically advanced products.
Ideally, we are looking for an experienced Software team leader able to make decisions for software development. Applicants with significant, related, software development experience will also be considered for development into the role
- You will have a strong ability to manage a team of software developers.
- You will need to be able to communicate effectively to people at all levels in the company across a range of mediums.
- You will have experience in working in a high technology environment where the quality and accuracy of work is essential.
- You will understand requirements and available design solutions so that you can produce accurate and cost effective estimates of work to be undertaken.
- You will be required to provide regular reports to demonstrate progress achieved and to confidently deliver software solutions to time, cost and quality.
- You will have a good understanding of software and the software development process to be able to provide effective management oversight.
- You will have a good understanding of technology used in the real time embedded software development to enable correct choices to be made when needed.
- You will have project management skills to ensure good planning, delivery and cost control of software developed in the team.
- Knowledge of Software configuration management tools and techniques.
Other desirable qualities are:
- Understanding of SysML/UML and targeting C, C++ and or Ada Languages.
- Have an ability to influence product development strategy.
You will demonstrate the following behaviours:
What would you get?
- Be capable of developing a collaborative relationship with other team members.
- Demonstrate sensitivity to cultural differences.
- An approach focused on a timely high quality solution.
- Competitive salaries, flexible working, paid overtime (subject to level), a comprehensive pension scheme, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, bonus schemes (subject to level) and superb learning and development opportunities.
MBDA is committed to providing an inclusive working environment where our employees can be themselves and everyone has equal opportunity to reach their full potential.
We value difference and know that a diverse community makes for greater innovation and brings a breadth of skills, experience and perspectives. Please Note
: MBDA UK requires all employees to achieve and maintain SC security clearance or above without restrictions that will inhibit the individual’s ability to fulfil the requirements of the role. Your eligibility for the appropriate level of security clearance may be discussed with you during the recruitment process. Any existing clearance holders may be able to transfer clearance (subject to approval).
Are you a member of LinkedIn? If so, you are invited to join our LinkedIn Group to view future MBDA UK opportunities and news. LinkedIn Group name: Engineering UK (Defence)