General Dynamics Land Systems is a global leader in providing products and support across the full spectrum of combat vehicles. Our global team has more than 6,000 employees working towards creating a diverse product portfolio delivering best-in-class capability to Armed Forces communities worldwide. In the UK, we employee more than 650 people and are leading the way in Armoured Fighting Vehicles and sustainment services. Our vision is documented and embedded into our culture, so all employees understand the Company’s direction and their role in achieving it. We are currently delivering the AJAX programme, providing 589 Armoured Fighting Vehicles in six variants to the British Army and have also developed and delivered 400 Foxhound vehicles - a highly-protected and mobile 4x4 platform with high-deployment availability.
The role requires experience of design, implementation and testing of complex systems and subsystems. The role is responsible for the vehicle Electronic Architecture including the computers & software, displays, networks, servers, etc. The successful candidate will be a competent and rounded Systems Engineer with experience of delivering complex systems coupled with an understanding, or demonstrable ability, to apply their expertise to the land vehicle domain.
The applicant will have experience of Systems Engineering development within a team environment, and have held a position where they are responsible for an element of the design. The candidate will understand system requirements and how to develop a solution; then validate that the design meets the requirements through, analysis, modelling and test. They will have an appreciation of system behaviours, data handling, weight, power, safety, security, operating environment, EME, Human Factors, reliability, maintainability and legislation. The role involves working with a range of Subject Matter Experts and suppliers to ensure delivery of a compliant, functional and balanced solution.
This position is based at either at our Oakdale 2 facility in South Wales or at Leamington Spa, with occasional travel to other General Dynamics sites in the UK and possibly overseas.
- Reporting to the Land 400 EA Chief Engineer and working with Systems, Software and Test Engineers within the team, the principal duties are:
- Leading the team in the delivery of the Project Deliverables for Engineering
- Provision of strong Systems Engineering input
- Delivery of a Design to a stated level of compliance
- Change Management - causes for changes in System, Schedule & Costs; finding causes & developing balanced solutions.
- Baseline management
- Engineering design development
- Trade Studies
- Interface management
- System Behaviour
- Delivery of technical reports
- Collection and analysis of system metrics
- Schedule monitoring and reporting
- System Risk and Opportunity reporting
- Applied knowledge & understanding of complex projects
- Substantial system design and development of complex hardware and software systems
- Relevant exposure to the installation of electronic subsystems into military equipment
- Ability to define electrical systems designs and implementations within military equipment
- Experience of reviewing mechanical and electrical system and subsystem drawings for completeness, correctness and cohesiveness
- Ability to interpret multi-discipline design requirements and propose appropriate design solutions.
- Ability to self-manage with little supervision, ensuring deadlines are achieved.
- Engineering or Science Degree or similar
- Experience of team leadership
- Ideally expertise in of the Land Environment or Armoured Fighting Vehicle domain
- Experience of design sign-off to a customer
- Knowledge of relevant standards (e.g. Defence Standards; 23-09 GVA, 61-5 Power, 00-35 Environmental, 00-251 Human Factors, 00-82 Video, etc. or equivalents)
GDUK offers a competitive compensation package with opportunities for growth and professional development. A flexible benefits package, 25 days holiday, a compressed fortnight offering every other Friday off and an attractive bonus scheme.