Integration Trial Support Engineer
General Dynamics UK is a world-leader in the integration of cutting-edge defence and security systems, delivering decisive advantage to military, government and civil customers worldwide.
Our employee culture is one that thrives on innovation, embraces teamwork and possesses a strong will to succeed. The pioneering technologies and the quality of our people give us our competitive edge. Dynamics is not just part of our name, it’s part of our spirit.
The Integration Trials Support Engineer is a key enabler of the ITEA team providing hands-on expertise in the area of trials, test and integration.
The primary role of an integration engineer is to ensure the requirements for trials data capture are documented and understood, the necessary sensors and other data logging equipment are installed and verified as operational for the particular trial being undertaken. Technical troubleshooting skills will also be required as necessary to ensure continued equipment operation. The role places significant demands on engineering knowledge and experience preferably gained within the Defence/AFV environment.
The Integration Engineer will need to be a team player with strong interpersonal skills and the ability to maintain close working relationships with other engineering domain subject matter experts (SME). The successful candidate must be adaptable, resourceful and have a confident approach to dynamic problem solving, this is essential to maintain the forward momentum of the trials operating schedule
- Support the trials and integration activities at a system level on AFV platforms as on trials focal point for vehicle instrumentation, test and data analysis
- Specify and procure necessary equipment to facilitate the recording of data from a AFV platform on a trials by trials basis
- Fitting and commissioning of sensors on vehicle in readiness for trials
- Derivation and management of equipment spares to maintain trials tempo
- Work with domain subject matter experts to download, inspect and conduct first line analysis of trials data
- Ensure trials data is backed-up securely and sent back to engineering offices for post processing
- Support on vehicle troubleshooting to diagnose incidents
- Liaise with specialist instrumentation providers where in-house instrumentation is not deemed possible
- Support the compilation of daily trials logs to wider community of interest
- Support the compilation of verification documentation, and trials evidence to support the acceptance process
- Partake in Trials Readiness Reviews for individual trials activities
- An understanding of integration and test procedures
- Ability to conduct technical review of programme deliverables
- Willing to travel extensively within the UK and abroad
- A proven track record of complex system integration and test programmes ideally within the defence, automotive or aeronautical sectors
- Strong written, verbal and communication
- Experience of military vehicle systems across all technical domains would be desirable
- Working knowledge of data acquisition equipment (eDAQ, ICM) would be desirable
- Working knowledge of MilCAN, Ethernet, power and communication technologies /emulators / test equipment, would be desirable
- Working knowledge and experience of utilising various sensors such as accelerometers, strain gauges, current clamps etc, would be desirable
- Degree qualified or relevant experience
GDUK offers a competitive compensation package with opportunities for growth and professional development. A flexible benefits package, 25 days holiday, a compressed fortnight offering every other Friday off and an attractive bonus scheme