Mechanical Design Engineer
Ocado’s Automation Development department is at the cutting-edge of our engineering business. From the design and manufacture of the most state-of-the-art products in the business, to their delivery into our multi-million pound Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs) across the globe, our bespoke Mechanical Handling Equipment (MHE) development projects are pushing the boundaries of innovation and automation.
Within the Automation Development department sits the Product Development function, which is responsible for the design, testing and manufacture of our automated products (with a catalogue of around 500 products and counting!). Our Design team is now looking for a Mechanical Design Engineer, who will be responsible for the mechanical design of a wide range of systems, sub-systems and components, typically electro-mechanical automation equipment or structures/static equipment. This is an integral position as we continue to design and develop new products for both our customers in the UK and internationally.
What will you be doing?
- Carrying out detailed mechanical design work including 3D modelling, calculations, simulation and design verification testing as needed
- Selecting mechanical parts taking into consideration functionality, cost, availability and obsolescence
- Creating technical specifications including functional design specifications, 2D drawings, assembly drawings and bills of materials
- Supporting the transition of designs into manufacture
- Designing injection moulded and die cast components
- A degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent Mechanical Engineering qualification with experience
- A proven track record in designing complex electro-mechanical automation systems, machines or products that have gone into production
- Expert experience in CAD; preferably SolidWorks and PDM software
- Substantial experience draughting to BS8888 with the use of GD&T
- A good understanding of component selection
- The ability to generate supporting calculations required for a Technical File and Certification (CE, UL CSA or other)
About Ocado Group...
When our journey started, we were all about changing the way people shop for groceries. 20 years later, we’re a FTSE 100 business developing our own ground breaking technology, opening multiple sites at an accelerating rate and engaging in exciting new business partnerships around the world!
Transforming an industry means also transforming the way we do business. As we continually develop new technologies and customer propositions, we’re looking for the brightest talents to lead us into the next stage of our evolution: enhancing our capabilities, inspiring our teams and developing new ways of working.
Ocado employee experience is very important to us. As well as keeping a smile on your face with weekly massages, a games room, coffee shop, weekly food samples and an amazing food hall to satisfy your daily breakfast and lunch taste buds.. all Ocado employees are offered a benefits package of - 23 days holiday + the option to buy an additional 3 via salary sacrifice, 15% discount on your weekly Ocado shop, pension, share options, discounts on gym memberships and much much more….
Our values: we’re in it together, we are proud of what we do, we can be even better...