Senior Electronic Security Engineer (LON0000UN)
Primary Location United Kingdom-London-London
Job Posting 17-Sep-19
We are an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world.
The Resilience Security and Risk team focuses on building resilience into our clients organisation. This ranges from contributing to the design of infrastructure to training operational security personnel. We take a risk-based approach to all of our work and seek to make sure that security solutions works for the business. We therefore work closely with other disciplines in Arup to find solutions that meet the security objectives and are sustainable in their implementation.
The global Security environment is changing daily and the risk to society from Security threats are unfortunately dynamic and unpredictable. Whilst Arup has traditionally had a very impressive reputation designing in the built environment to counter naturally occurring threats (flood, earthquake, fire, etc), Arup has also established an expert team to counter malicious manmade threats. Included in that team is a specialist Physical Security Engineering team, that complements other specialist capabilities in counter-terrorist design team, blast engineering, protective intelligence, chemical & biological counter measures, hostile vehicle mitigation measures, business continuity, emergency planning, technical risk, etc. With the increased demand for personnel working in this space, we are seeking to employ others, to work closely with our Digital Engineering team who are developing and implementing the latest technology available/developed in Arup to improve security business solutions for our clients.
We are looking for enthusiastic and capable personnel to consider for technical and business leadership roles in one of the globe’s leading consultancies. Such personnel should have a strong foundation in Physical Security, but should be prepared to work with the team and the greater Arup offering to improve our ability to win work and to deliver “best in class” and innovative solutions to improve our clients’s businesses.
Physical Security Engineering is a developing and dynamic service with the convergence of ICT and the Internet of things becoming more of a reality. You will be required to broaden the existing Arup offering in this field with the support of existing and new consultants.
You will be responsible for winning and delivering projects both on your own and as part of a team.
You should be working towards or have reached subject matter expert in one or more of the following technical fields:
- CCTV including video content analysis;
- Access control including SAM and cloud based solutions;
- Security search equipment for personnel and vehicles;
- Physical construction of facilities and control cabinets against Forced entry using manual/powered tools.
You will be required to lead projects that involve other disciplines within RSR and therefore be able to demonstrate an understanding of these skills and how they affect the physical security design.
Arup also provides Principle Designer services for security only projects and you should understand the implications of this role.
Arup supports and actively encourages the importance of considering the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals - 17 GOALS TO TRANSFORM OUR WORLD, in the delivery of projects, therefore it is important that you understand these and are able to apply them to your projects.
BIM and PAS 1192 Part 5 is and will continue to become a more important aspect of the delivery of physical security projects and fundamental to the commitment to digital transformation that Arup has commenced on. You will be required to be conversant in designing in BIM (ideally both MicroStation and Revit) and be able to provide guidance to the junior consultants on delivery and the security considerations.
- Be responsible for the day to day management of your projects technically and commercially.
- Be required to take a managerial role in the team outside of your immediate technical area of interest.
- Be responsible for developing relationships with existing and new clients and an engagement plan.
- Be required to represent the Resilience, Security and Risk team at external conferences, working parties and BSI committees by presenting or contributing to the strategic setting the direction of the security in the UK and globally.
- You will also be required to provide technical oversight and guidance to the graduates and consultants to ensure that the best possible standards are achieved.
Your commercial responsibility will be to:
- Set business development targets for the team and yourself and ensure they are delivered, monitoring progress throughout the year. You will be required to review contracts and agree them in conjunction with the Arup Legal team.
- Set project forecasts and working with the commercial manager for the team to ensure they are kept up to date and correct. You will be required to negotiate fee changes with clients as required and proactively manage change to protect Arup interests.
- You will also be required to work across a wide range of industries including transport, energy, education, cities and digital.
- Be a self-starter who is committed to delivering quality outcomes for clients
- Be committed to risk-based security and tenacious in pursuing that approach to infrastructure design
- Take a holistic approach to identifying solutions for clients; you will not default to security-only solutions for security problems
- Understand how national legislation and standards are applied
- Be committed to growing the business and therefore be a proactive networker be willing to travel regionally and internationally
- Be prepared to work on client site outside of London for periods of time
Essential Skills and Knowledge:
- Substantial relevant experience working delivering major physical security projects across the range of sectors Arup works in.
- Recent experience working in or directly with security agencies such as CPNI
- Experience with threat, vulnerability and risk assessments and protective security
- Experience in working on projects outside of UKIMEA
- Have existing network of industry contacts
- Public speaking skills
- Analysis and written skills
- Knowledgeable of the current threat and risk environment
- Working in a collaborative environment
- Experience of working with security by design and crime prevention through
- Environmental design (CPTED)
- Delivered projects to BIM LD300 for physical security and have worked on projects that have taken PAS 1192 Part 5 into consideration.
- Proficient in Microsoft products such as Word, Excel, Access, Power Bi
- Used to collaboration software such as Bluebeam Studio for hosted design reviews with clients.
- Specialist software such as JVSG “ip-video-system-design-tool”
- Industry and/or academic credentials in security or risk management (essential)
- Degree or equivalent in electrical, electronic or digital technology (essential)
- Hold membership of one or more of the established UK security institutions such as Security Institute; The Worshipful Company of Security Professionals (essential) and ASIS (desirable)
- You should be a Chartered Engineer (essential)
- You should have or be working towards being a member of the Register of Security Engineers and Specialists as either a generalist or in electronic security (essential)
Reward and Benefits
Arup is an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world.
We offer a competitive salary at all levels, and one of the best benefits package in our sector.
Core benefits include cover under the UK Healthcare Plan (private medical insurance), Life Assurance, Accident Insurance, and Income Protection (long term disability) cover. Core benefits are funded by us and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to a grade-related Flexible Benefits Fund which you can choose to take as extra cash, or spend on a wide range of Choice Benefits to help with your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.
Shape your time with us
How can we best work with you?? Whether you’re a parent, a carer, a student, or just have a busy lifestyle, it’s not always easy to commit to standard working hours. At Arup you have access to a range of flexible working options – including flexible start and finish times, working from home or working part-time. If you're interested in any of these options, please let us know when you apply and we'll discuss how this could work in your role.