Vehicle Lead Engineer
General Dynamics Land Systems is a global leader in providing products and support across the full spectrum of combat vehicles. Our global team has more than 6,000 employees working towards creating a diverse product portfolio delivering best-in-class capability to Armed Forces communities worldwide. In the UK, we employee more than 650 people and are leading the way in Armoured Fighting Vehicles and sustainment services. Our vision is documented and embedded into our culture, so all employees understand the Company’s direction and their role in achieving it. We are currently delivering the AJAX programme, providing 589 Armoured Fighting Vehicles in six variants to the British Army and have also developed and delivered 400 Foxhound vehicles - a highly-protected and mobile 4x4 platform with high-deployment availability.
The Vehicle Lead Engineer (VLE) is a key enabler of the ITEA (First of Type) team providing hands-on expertise in the area of trials, test and integration. The primary role of a VLE is the overall day to day upkeep, reporting and safety of the Trial vehicle, with up to 3 crewman and any additional GDUK team members as the trial dictates. The role places significant demands on engineering knowledge and experience preferably gained within the Defence/AFV envelope.
The VLE will need to be a team player with strong interpersonal skills and the ability to maintain close working relationships with other engineering domain, MOD, Sub-Contractor subject matter experts (SME). The VLE must be adaptable, resourceful and have a confident approach to dynamic problem solving, this is essential to maintain the forward momentum of the trials operating schedule.
The VLE will be required in assisting with EVM during the duration on the trials period, this will include monitoring timesheets and expenses.
- Run trials and integration activities at a system level on AFV platforms
- Compilation and distribution of daily trials logs to wider community of interest
- Arrange trials activities, trials subcontractors and test facilities
- Coordination of vehicular trials assets, instrumentation, spares and consumables
- Co-ordination of investigations and repairs in conjunction with trials management and specialist support
- Coordinate and organise necessary GFX associated with specific trials activities
- Support the compilation of verification documentation, and trials evidence to support the acceptance process
- Partake in Trials Readiness Reviews for individual trials activities
- Ensure control of vehicle build standard
- Platform upgrade and modification planning including repairs as necessary
- Ensure vehicle maintenance is conducted in accordance with schedule
- Population of vehicle log book with appropriate information on a daily basis
- Daily work scheduling for vehicle crew
- Support regular Incident Sentencing Committee meetings
- A proven track record of complex system integration and test programmes
- Highly developed customer facing and negotiating skills
- Thorough understanding of integration, test and acceptance procedures
- Experience of military vehicle systems across all technical domains
- Ability to liaise with and present information to multidiscipline and multinational team members
- Ability to provide technical impedance to deliverables
GDUK offers a competitive compensation package with opportunities for growth and professional development. A flexible benefits package, 25 days holiday, a compressed fortnight offering every other Friday off and an attractive bonus scheme.