MBDA has entered the next phase of its exciting evolution as a world class and dominant European missile company. The growing workload within MBDA has created exciting opportunities for an Antenna Desiger/Specialist. The Role
This role involves the design and development of novel antenna sub-system solutions to support higher level product developments. This will encompass creating, analysing and prototyping designs that, whilst constrained by limited available physical space and a harsh operating environment (vibration, shock, thermal, etc.) will still meet tough customer specifications and requirements.
The role will also include the ownership and delivery of the strategic vision for the department’s antenna solutions through research and development of an antenna product line. This will include establishing and building strategic relationships in relation to antennas, both internally to MBDA and externally.
As well as providing the focal point for the strategic and detail design work, the role will also involve making technical contributions where extensive and diversified knowledge of antenna principles are necessary; assisting less experienced members of the team as required.
There will be a demand to work closely with RF Engineers, Systems Teams, Firmware & Software developers, Digital Electronics Designers and with other related teams such as Component Engineering, PCB Design/Layout, Mechanical Engineering, manufacturing and others.
Businesses must continuously improve and MBDA is no exception. Identification and implementation of improvement activities will be part of the role. The activities of the role may span the international boundary and encompass our French and Italian colleagues which will involve the need for international travel What’s in it for you?
This role provides a unique opportunity to apply your skills within a growing company and multi-skilled team. Exposure to complex and technologically advanced projects and products provides a stimulating experience. Working with highly talented and motivated engineers, in a friendly and supportive environment, provides one of the best environments to further career aspirations and achieve a real feeling of success. What’s great about the team?
The Engineering Design Teams are multi-disciplined, dynamic and focussed on achieving complex design solutions that meet project needs whilst adhering to demanding timescales. Teams are located together enabling easy communication and exchange of ideas and knowledge for the good of all in the team. What we are looking for?
High performing teams need high performing and competent individuals. To be suitable for this role, Individuals will be able to demonstrate the majority of the following attributes:
- Likely to be degree (or suitably) qualified in RF Electronics or a closely related subject, preferably specialising in antennas.
- Proven experience in Antenna Design and antenna product development covering a range of microwave frequencies; experience of UHF and/or frequencies in excess of X-band an advantage.
- Solid knowledge on EM theory and expertise with EM simulation tools such as CST or HFSS.
- Experience with embedded antenna design and miniaturized antenna design is a plus.
- Good knowledge of transmission line theory, matching circuits, active and passive RF circuit design.
- Experience with the characteristics and design of various antenna types is required.
- Familiarity with CAD software packages such as AutoCAD, SolidWorks or Creo would be an advantage.
- Hands-on experience performing S-parameter measurements and antenna pattern measurements, using anechoic chambers etc, including an ability to instruct external test houses, is essential.
- Data post-processing using a tool such as Matlab is desirable.
- Knowledge of practical RF system design, including passive and active design such as path loss calculation, cascade noise figure, intercept point is desirable.
What you would get
- Knowledge of EM propagation in multipath environments and channel models is desirable.
- A good understanding of the complete product development process preferably for defence products is desirable.
- Experience of developing and delivering a strategic roadmap.
- Ability to develop and build strategy relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver on-time and work well as a team member in a team consisting of different design disciplines.
- Possess excellent problem solving skills.
- Good engineering work practice, excellent team player.
- Self-motivated and reliable.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills being able to communicate with all levels effectively; able to challenge, negotiate and influence to achieve a desired goal/outcome.
- Competitive salaries, flexible working, paid overtime (subject to level), a comprehensive pension scheme, an employee funded voluntary private healthcare scheme, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, bonus schemes (subject to level) and superb learning and development opportunities.
MBDA UK require all employees to achieve and maintain SC security clearance or above without restrictions that will inhibit the individual’s ability to fulfil the requirements of the role. Your eligibility for the appropriate level of security clearance may be discussed with you during the recruitment process. Any existing clearance holders may be able to transfer clearance (subject to approval).