Salary: £32k-£50k DOE + Bonus + Excellent Benefits What`s the opportunity?
MBDA has entered the next phase of its exciting evolution as a world class and dominant European missile company. The growing workload within MBDA has created exciting opportunities within the Electronics Design Function for a PCB NPI engineer to develop a long term career owning all technology and design for manufacture aspects of PCB and component technology introduction from concept through to introduction into manufacturing. The PCB NPI Engineer will be responsible for providing a design that is manufacturable to cost and time, meets the technical design requirements and will be reliable in the end environment.
The Electronics Design Function is tasked with supplying a full range of design activities for our complete range of missile systems covering land, air and naval systems. What will you be doing?
The role encompasses knowledge and skills in each of the relevant skill areas and provides a service to the design engineers providing input and developing the manufacturing process as design activities progress. It is a key role providing advice on design for manufacture / assembly and design for reliability issues working with multiple stakeholders around the business to manage the introduction of the technology and product into the manufacturing facility.
The PCB NPI engineer will be working cross project teams and will have some international working, liaising and influencing non-UK teams working on similar technologies and design projects to ensure best practice and technology needs are identified and managed to provide repeatable processes for manufacture.
The skill areas are:
What are the benefits for you?
- PCB Assembly Technology – the understanding of PCB assembly processes, such as SMT, soldering, selective soldering, conformal coating, under fills, component technologies.
- PCB fabrication would be desirable.
- Project management – the understanding of good communication and being able to deliver a project into manufacturing without inherent design issues impacting manufacturing’s ability to achieve cost and rate targets.
- Businesses must continuously improve and MBDA is no exception. Identification and implementation of improvement activities will be part of this role. The activities of the role will span the international boundary and encompass our French and Italian colleagues.
This role provides a unique opportunity to broaden technically within a growing company and high capability design teams. Exposure to complex and technologically advanced projects and products provides a stimulating experience. Working with highly talented and motivated engineers, in a friendly and supportive environment, provides one of the best environments to further career aspirations and achieve a real feeling of success. What’s great about joining this team?
The PCB and Interconnects Technology Group is focussed on specific technologies and provide expertise to the design population in their specialist subject. This specialist team is well respected, supportive and operate in a friendly environment both within the team and also within the greater Electronics function. There are plenty of opportunities to learn, take ownership and expand personally to the level of experience and aspiration that one may have. Who and what we are looking for from you?
High performing teams need high performing and competent individuals. To be suitable for this role, Individuals will be able to demonstrate a number of the following attributes:
What would you get?
- Have experience in PCB assembly technology through either a PCB fabrication house or a PCB assembly house or other closely related experience.
- Will ideally have a minimum qualification in Electronics or a closely related subject. This could be ONC, HNC etc.
- Have experience in working closely with a design and manufacturing environment advising on PCB assembly design for manufacture and PCB layout technologies.
- Have experience delivering designs into a manufacturing environment and establishing the capability to ensure the design can be manufactured to time and cost.
- Ability to clearly communicate to mechanical & electronic designers any PCB or PCBA limitations associated with their initial proposals and influencing the adoption of alternative solutions in line with best practice.
- Ability to work to tight or critical timescales, identifying and addressing critical aspects as a priority
- Production engineering / process engineering background – ready to take the next step to advise the design
- Understand the principles of lean manufacturing and techniques of process improvement
- Understand the principles of an automated assembly line, pick and place program creation, soldering processes, oven profiling, drawings and datapacks, and design for manufacture, assembly and test.
- Excellent influencing skills to be able to clearly report on process / program issues affecting yield and reliability ensuring necessary change to the design.
- Have excellent verbal communication and written communication skills
- Pro-activeness, motivation, ability and tenacity to deliver a task on time and to cost.
- Competitive salary, flexible working, paid overtime (subject to level), a comprehensive pension scheme, employee funded voluntary private healthcare, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, bonus schemes (subject to level) and superb learning and development opportunities.
: MBDA UK require all employees to achieve and maintain SC security clearance or above without restrictions that will inhibit the individual’s ability to fulfil the requirements of the role. Your eligibility for the appropriate level of security clearance may be discussed with you during the recruitment process. Any existing clearance holders may be able to transfer clearance (subject to approval).
Are you a member of LinkedIn? If so, you are invited to join our LinkedIn Group to view future MBDA UK opportunities and news.
LinkedIn Group name: Engineering UK (Defence)