Summary of Role
Raytheon UK is seeking a Senior Software Engineer to join a programme engineering team in our Command and Control, Space and Intelligence (CSI) business. The role will be to act as a Senior Software Team Engineer to develop and deliver a wide range of mission critical applications to our defence and intelligence customers. This will involve both the development of custom software as well as the integration of COTS and bespoke software. Dedicated development, test and integration environments are available to support problem investigation and resolution as well as distribution of new software releases.
This role offers a skilled and motivated Software Engineer an exciting opportunity to join the CSI team at a very exciting time. The successful candidate will find themselves working on programmes at various stages of the development lifecycle, from requirements analysis through to design, build, test and acceptance into live service. This will also be an opportunity to get involved with the transformation of our approach from traditional waterfall processes to an agile process where we will be partners with our customers rather than traditional defence suppliers. The role will also include the opportunity to work with our supplier base specifying and supporting the integration and testing of the third party subsystem deliverables.
- To design, develop and maintain mission critical applications and systems
- Design and develop product functionality, user interfaces and performance improvements
- Key interface to external customers and suppliers
- Lead scrum\\team meetings
- Responsible for reviewing team members deliverables and providing feedback & guidance
- Act as lead engineer for small/medium programmes or subsystems within larger programmes
- Support Estimation Activities
- Supporting technical planning and management meetings
- Provide software metrics to the programme
- Current holder of or eligibility to obtain MoD DV security clearance
- Skills in two or more of the following:
- Java application development
- C/C++ based application development in a Linux environment
- Application development using Java orientated middleware, for example, JEE, Spring, Hibernate, Apache Camel
- Software application development utilizing RDBMS (e.g. Oracle/MySQL) and/or unstructured persistence layers, (e.g. ElasticSearch, MongoDB )
- Expertise in J2EE development - specifically with web application development
- Experience Working in an Agile/SCRUM/DevOps delivery model
- Experience of scripting languages; Perl, Python, ruby
- Experience with high performance distributed systems
- Experience of Data Analytics and Visualization
- Experience of Big Data Technologies (Hadoop, Pig, Hive, Spark)
- Experience in secure development techniques and tools that produce secure systems
- Understanding of virtualization (e.g. VMWare and Hyper-V)
- Experience of PKI and encryption techniques
About Raytheon UK
With facilities in Broughton, Waddington, Glenrothes, Harlow, Gloucester and Manchester, Raytheon UK is invested in the British workforce and the development of UK technology. Across the country the company employs 1,700 people and supports 8,000 jobs. As a prime contractor and major supplier to the U.K. Ministry of Defence, Raytheon continues to invest in research and development, supporting innovation and technological advances across the country.
Raytheon Company, with 2018 sales of $27 billion and 67,000 employees, is a technology and innovation leader specialising in defence, civil government and cybersecurity solutions. With a history of innovation spanning 97 years, Raytheon provides state-of-the-art electronics, mission systems integration, C5I™ products and services, sensing, effects and mission support for customers in more than 80 countries. Raytheon is headquartered in Waltham, Massachusetts. Follow us on Twitter.
Raytheon Career Development
Raytheon has a wealth of resources available to help you develop your career from the moment you join. Activities range from on-line learning modules, to external training and support for taking professional qualifications relevant to your role.
- 25 days holiday + statutory public holidays
- Contributory Pension Scheme (up to 10.5% company contribution)
- 6 times salary ‘Life Assurance’
- Flexible Benefits scheme with extensive salary sacrifice scheme’s.
- Enhanced sick pay scheme
- Enhanced Family Friendly Policies, including enhanced Maternity & Shared Parental leave.
- 37hr working week, with an early finish Friday (hours may vary depending on role, job requirement or site specifics arrangements). Flexible working arrangements can be considered depending on the role and subject to line manager approval.
- The Feltham site offers free snacks and drinks as well as providing lunch every Wednesday
Diversity is a core business imperative at Raytheon. We are an equal opportunity employer that promotes inclusiveness and always employs the best professionals for the job. Having a diverse workforce allows Raytheon to draw upon a range of different ideas and experiences which supports growing our business and creates an environment where everyone has an equal opportunity for success. Raytheon UK pro-actively encourages diversity of ideas, thoughts, and networking opportunities and has created Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) including Raytheon Women's Network, YesNet (Young Employees Success Network), Raytheon Reservist Network (RaRe), Raytheon Alliance for Diverse Abilities (RADA) and all work together with our Diversity & Inclusion counsel, and all Raytheon employees are welcome to participate regardless of their background.
As a proud contributor to the HM Armed Forces, Raytheon UK signed the HM Armed Forces covenant in 2014. Due to the varied activities and support to our Armed Forces & Reservists,
Raytheon UK has since been awarded the prestigious Covenant ‘Gold Award’ Employee Recognition.
Raytheon UK recognise that our people are the critical factor in our success, and we strive to provide a challenging and rewarding careers.