Secure Communications Engineer
Salary: £33,498 to £38,195 plus £984 location allowance. You will receive £33,498 the band minimum. Progress to the band maximum of £38,195 will be via incremental progression
Location: Newlands Park
Give us the technology to fight crime across the capital
From overt CCTV to encrypted communications, our Operational Support Unit (OSU) provides officers with the latest in crime-fighting technology. This dedicated team of specialists supports front line policing, helping us protect a city of over eight million people. Join the Unit as a Secure Communications Engineer, and you’ll play your part in keeping the capital safe.
The OSU’s services range from overt CCTV for major events, to operational control room installations and communication systems. In this newly created role, you’ll join a small team of engineering specialists who ensure the efficiency, security and integrity of OSU product distribution networks. You’ll focus on in-vehicle audio-visual and microwave and satellite communications systems – areas that call for specialist knowledge and present interesting, varied challenges.
With experience in an automotive audio-visual support role, you understand RF communication and satellite technologies and how to install equipment in vehicles. You’ll also be adept at finding faults and diagnosing problems. However, this is a role that calls for more than technical skills. You must also be an excellent team-worker who’s organised and motivated. Ready to work outside normal business hours, you’ll understand the importance of flexibility and collaboration. Please note that a full driving licence is essential.
• A good understanding of RF communications technologies
• A good understanding of the installation of technology in vehicles
• A good understanding of technology fault-finding techniques
• A willingness to be flexible to meet operational demand, sometimes working outside normal business hours
• To be self-motivated and have the ability to work in a team efficiently and effectively
• Excellent organisational and time management skills
• Full driving license.
Desirable Criteria -
• Proven experience of RF communications systems
• Proven experience of the installation of technology within vehicles
• Proven experience of technology fault-finding techniques
• A good understanding and experience of satellite communications systems
• Experience of network design
• Experience of audiovisual product distribution over IP networks.
To apply, please visit our website to download a role specific information pack and click on the link to complete and submit the online application form. You will also be required to submit a detailed CV.
Completed applications must be submitted by 23.55pm 28th October 2019.
Failure to supply all the relevant documents will result in your application being terminated.
We view diversity as fundamental to our success. To tackle today’s complex policing challenges, we need a workforce made up from all of London’s communities. Applications from across the community are therefore essential.