Ocado’s Automation Development department is at the cutting-edge of our engineering business. From the design and manufacture of the most state-of-the-art products in the business, to their delivery into our multi-million pound Customer Fulfilment Centres (CFCs) across the globe, our bespoke Mechanical Handling Equipment (MHE) development projects are pushing the boundaries of innovation and automation.
Within the Automation Development department sits the Product Development function, which is responsible for the design, testing and manufacture of our automated products (with a catalogue of around 500 products and counting!). We are now looking for a Research & Development Engineer to join the team, taking responsibility for building the engineering capabilities that support the entire function. You will be solving challenging development problems across our portfolio of engineering projects, as well as building your expertise in key technical areas of strategic importance to Ocado Group.
What will you be doing?
- Acting as a consultant on projects undertaken in Product Development (varying in scale from small proof of concept studies to longer term technology evaluation projects)
- Expanding the Ocado knowledge base through forming partnerships with academic institutions, universities, centres of excellence and expert suppliers
- Providing Ocado management team and project teams with real data to inform technical and ultimately commercial decisions
- Reviewing technical proposals and making recommendations on how to proceed
- Driving innovation and generating intellectual property in technology areas relevant to Ocado
- Master’s degree in engineering, physics or science degree
- Strong technical background with a proven track record in complex problem solving and technology evaluation
- Experience in any of the following - structural analysis, systems/electrical and controls/mechanical engineering, safety systems and CE marking, robotics, machine vision, motion control, materials science)
- Ability to communicate effectively to technical, non-technical and senior management audiences
- Experience in project management (including defining work package content, stage gated programmes and resource requirements)
About Ocado Group...
When our journey started, we were all about changing the way people shop for groceries. 20 years later, we’re a FTSE 100 business developing our own ground breaking technology, opening multiple sites at an accelerating rate and engaging in exciting new business partnerships around the world!
Transforming an industry means also transforming the way we do business. As we continually develop new technologies and customer propositions, we’re looking for the brightest talents to lead us into the next stage of our evolution: enhancing our capabilities, inspiring our teams and developing new ways of working.
Ocado employee experience is very important to us. As well as keeping a smile on your face with weekly massages, a games room, coffee shop, weekly food samples and an amazing food hall to satisfy your daily breakfast and lunch taste buds.. all Ocado employees are offered a benefits package of - 23 days holiday + the option to buy an additional 3 via salary sacrifice, 15% discount on your weekly Ocado shop, pension, share options, discounts on gym memberships and much much more….
Our values: we’re in it together, we are proud of what we do, we can be even better…