QinetiQ comprises teams of dedicated people; experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. We draw on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems. Our people make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don’t you join some of the world’s finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
Job description/Person specification
Overall Purpose of the Job:
To provide Maritime system safety engineering skills to external and internal clients and to assist in the development of business growth.
The primary output for this role will be provision of safety engineering expertise to deliver defined artefacts in support of projects to our clients. Artefact production will cover the whole range of Safety Management System (SMS) documentation for the Maritime domain platforms, and the applicant should possess analytical skills to examine evidence to support a safety argument. Ability in the use of system safety engineering tools and techniques together with excellent report writing skills is essential for the delivery of output.
The role will predominantly be working for Maritime project delivery teams; though other domain platforms requiring safety engineering support will be likely. In order to deliver output, the successful candidate will need to be flexible to work in a variety of safety support roles, and be prepared to travel to meet customer and internal business needs.
- Rapidly assimilating information and gaining a good understanding of the problems and issues associated with new tasks
- Getting the buy-in of other SMEs to the job holder’s preferred methods/solutions
- Delivering solutions to meet different customers’ requirements in parallel
- Working within a graphically dispersed team
- Understand and work within the regulatory and policy boundaries, offering advice and guidance to other QinetiQ business areas and customers alike.
- Develop new and nurture existing business relationships both internally and externally.
- Support new team members and to help grow the capability
- Ensure that work tasks are delivered to the specified time, cost, required quality standards and any other specifications given.
- Provide recommended solutions to problems that are defensible, auditable and which will meet customers’ expectations and needs
- Support time estimates for inputs to bids;
- Supervise and support other resources within the project to ensure quality of output and timeliness.
- Work collaboratively with Project Managers and Capability Managers to meet the customers’ needs
- Ensure that all work performed is consistent with QinetiQ Compliance Procedures
- Develop and maintain effective technical networks with Maritime customers.
Successful outcomes of this role:
- Provision of verbal and written technical advice to the Customer as tasked by Project Managers and Capability Managers.
Essential Education, Qualifications and Training:
- Engineering degree or equivalent.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required:
- Analytical and logical thinking skills consistent with those associated with the successful completion of a degree in mathematics, science or technology; also the job holder must have conceptual flexibility and be able to think in an integrated/holistic /systematic manner.
- Good judgement for reliably identifying and managing opportunities and risks, and also for selecting the most appropriate solution from a range of options.
- Good questioning, listening, influencing and general interpersonal skills to obtain relevant and accurate information from others.
- Good oral and written communication skills, including presentation skills.
- A collaborative willingness to take the lead and influence/persuade others to align to a particular course of action.
- Good team working and collaboration skills.
- Knowledge and experience in working with Maritime regulatory organisations.
Essential Personal Qualities and Behavioural Requirements:
- An enthusiastic, outgoing, proactive, success orientated approach.
- Job holder is expected to travel regularly in the UK including overnight stays.
- Seek guidance form others when in doubt and advise/support others where the expertise is considered to be SQEP.
- Chartered Engineer
- Masters' Degree in Safety related discipline
This role is based at the QinetiQ site in Bristol. Other sites will be considered on application.
QinetiQ offers an excellent salary and benefits package commensurate with a large international company some of which are highlighted below:-
• Career development across a diverse International organisation
• 50% off meals at selected restaurants , 40% off cinema tickets.
• Modern and collaborative working environment
• Pension - up to 10.5 % Company contributed
• Flexible Working , Social and family events
• Health Cash Plan , Health Screening, Employee Assistance 24/7
• Leading edge technology focus
• Private Medical Insurance and Dental Insurance at additional cost
• Childcare or After School Club , Annual Leave Purchase
• Personal Accident Insurance , Annual Travel Insurance
• Gym and sports facilities available at larger sites
• Payroll Giving and Volunteering - helping charities and local community