QinetiQ comprises teams of dedicated people; experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. We draw on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems. Our people make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don’t you join some of the world’s finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
Job description/Person specification Overall Purpose of the Job:
• Contribute to all stages in the specification, design, development, integration, test and certification, fielding and support of navigation and cryptographic devices, following a rigorous engineering lifecycle.
• Specify and develop FPGA/ASIC solutions
• Interact with other engineers working in multi-disciplinary teams to deliver products and customer solutions.
• Responsible to Project Design Authority for all firmware related activities
• Plans/structures work effectively, including breaking down problems into manageable work packages.
• Ability to accurately cost work and manage risk
• Produces written documentation (including presentation material) of technical work in accordance with Project requirements.
• Rapid learning of current military-specific and civil secure technologies in support of research and products.
• Innovation in the application/integration of digital hardware technologies to build novel secure systems
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required:
• Ability to write and debug VHDL.
• Experience designing and implementing complex firmware solutions in CPLD and FPGA using ModelSim, Synplify, ISE.
• Experience of design and implementation of high-speed of digital processing solutions and systems in FPGA e.g. system-on-chip, embedded processors, high speed interfaces
• Experience of working in a rigorous engineering environment using configuration management and change management processes/tools.
• Ability to prepare and undertake test and verification of FPGA/ASIC
• Good degree in electronics, electrical engineering or similar
• Good verbal and written Technical English communications skills.
• Experience of GNSS, Galileo security chain and/or PRS receivers.
• Knowledge of RF and radio signal performance/propagation issues.
• Knowledge/experience and knowledge of crypto security design including crypto algorithms, anti-tamper technologies etc
• Experience of specifying, designing, verifying and testing ASICs
• Ability to engineer software to support system development/testing in appropriate languages including C++, C and assembly language.
• Experience using Mentor Graphics DxDesigner and Expedition PCB.
• Experience of using DOORS.
• Ability to use supporting tools such as Matlab for solution modelling and verification.
Essential Personal Qualities and Behavioural Requirements :
• Self-starter, shows initiative
• Offers solutions to problems
• Enthusiastic team player
• Driven to deliver great results
• Strong risk awareness
• Quality conscious
• Able to follow processes and procedures
• Present a good impression of a QinetiQ professional