Senior Software Engineer with DDS
QinetiQ supports the delivery of the Long Term Partnering Agreement (LTPA) for the MOD. This is a 25-year contract between MOD and QinetiQ to deliver Test & Evaluation (T&E) and Training Support Services to the UK Armed Forces. In order to intermix both live and synthetic objects, QinetiQ are pushing the boundaries of what is possible with the Data Distribution Service (DDS).
Job description/Person specification Due to a restructure within the team, we are looking to appoint a Senior Software Engineer to play a key role within the Software Engineering Department. Working across several projects, the successful applicant will have experience of designing and developing DDS based software solutions. You will be solving technically challenging problems and will also work throughout the engineering lifecycle, applying rigorous engineering practices; analysing, designing, implementing, testing, supporting and maintaining solutions that solve the mission-critical problems of our customers. The role has a particular focus on the design and implementation of DDS based software solutions (RTI). Key tasks Include:
• Contribution to all stages of the specification, design, development, integration, test and certification, fielding and support of DDS based software, following a rigorous engineering lifecycle.
• Interaction with a team of engineers, working in multi-disciplinary teams to deliver customer solutions.
• Providing training and support on the solutions provided.
• A thorough understanding of DDS (preferably RTI), including real-time Quality of Service (QoS), and the Interface Definition Language (IDL), Record, Replay and Persistence
• Experience of architecting, designing and implementing DDS based solutions in software.
• Ability to develop in C++ and/or Java.
• Experience of working in a rigorous engineering environment using configuration management and change management processes and tools.
• Experience using software design, development environment and test tools such as Enterprise Architect, Visual Studio, etc.
• Experience of designing software using UML.
• Experience of developing real-time software
• Experience of developing embedded systems
• Experience of developing on Linux operating systems.
• Experience of using RTI DDS versions 5.3.0 and 4.2e
• Experience of developing on Ubuntu Linux 16.04
• Experience of using Linux Containers
• Knowledge and experience of the Common Data Representation (CDR)
• Implementing to applicable coding standards.
• High assurance software development (security).
• Experience of working across both Local Area and Wide Area Networks.
• Knowledge and experience of networking protocols TCP/IP, UDP/IP, Routers and Firewalls
• Self-starter, shows initiative
• Offers solutions to problems
• Enthusiastic team player
• Driven to deliver great results
• Strong risk awareness
• Quality conscious
• Able to follow processes and procedures