QinetiQ comprises teams of dedicated people; experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. We draw on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems. Our people make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don’t you join some of the world’s finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
Job description/Person specification
****Please note that we have positions available in our Bristol and Malvern sites at various grades dependant on experience*****
QinetiQ’s Cyber Information & Training (CIT) business helps our customers to respond to ever evolving threats, based on our expertise in secured navigation, training, secure communication platforms, intelligence, surveillance and cyber security. We deliver Mission Winning Innovation into global defence, security, and critical national infrastructure markets.
QinetiQ's Systems Engineers are renowned for providing high quality, independent technical advice to a wide range of customers, in support of their major acquisition programmes, and for developing our own range of world-leading products. We are looking for people to join our growing team of Systems Engineers who are interested in applying and developing their technical expertise, across a number of domains, both military and commercial.
Opportunities to work in the following Domains and Activities:
• Communications & Information Systems (particularly in the military land environment)
• Cyber and Security
• Electronic Warfare
• Research & Innovation
• Secured Navigation (particularly Global Navigation Satellite Systems – GNSS, PCB design and electronic engineering)
• Application of Systems Engineering principles across the lifecycle
• Consultancy and Business Analysis
• Product Development (full lifecycle)
• Engagement with customers and developing new propositions
• Service Delivery
•Training Systems and supporting infrastructure
a. Distributed Secure Networks
b. Simulation and Synthetic Environments
c. Simulation and stimulator development
d. Live, Virtual and Constructive training
•Training Needs Analysis
a. Army and Naval environments
b. Customer Advice
d. Requirements and Stakeholder Management
Key accountabilities of suitable candidates (the balance between these will be project-dependent):
• Working as part of a team supporting Systems Engineering projects in a variety of domains, for internal and external customers as guided and mentored by more senior Systems Engineers.
• Engaging with external stakeholder communities, gathering material and understanding their requirements
• Supporting and undertaking the technical design as guided by more senior Systems Engineers
• Collaborating with other members of project teams
• Identifying potential issues such as delivery problems, lack of input information etc.
• Developing to take on tasks and teams work
• Information management
Particular skills/experience required: A mix of some or all of:
• Understanding and applying the Systems Engineering approach across the lifecycle (including Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) Agile)
• Model Based Systems Engineering.
• Architectural Framework (e.g. MODAF, TOGAF) experience.
• Flexibility to travel as required to support project activities.
• Identifying and responding to customer needs
• Developing Architectures, Product design and development & Through-life Design & Management
• Business analysis and consultancy
• Flexibility of approach, ability to innovate
• Planning for trials, test and/or acceptance
• Developing outputs for customers (reports, products, services)
• Potentially working on several tasks simultaneously
• Creating and managing own work
Essential Personal Qualities and Behavioural Requirements:
• Has analytical and logical thinking skills.
• Able to work and produce consistent results with minimal supervision.
• Good questioning, listening, influencing and general interpersonal skills.
• Well-developed oral, written communication and presentation skills.
• Can adapt and work flexibly & Content to lead some tasks and be a team member on others.
• Content to work on several projects simultaneously
• Applying the emotional intelligence necessary to work successfully with diverse stakeholder groups.
• Identifying and delivering propositions, and solutions to customers’ real, unstated needs as well as those directly expressed.
• Moving at times from high uncertainty towards a clear problem definition.
• Differentiating problem definition from solution design.
• Rapidly assimilating information and gaining a good understanding of the problems and issues associated with new tasks.
• Thriving in a varied, complex, and frequently changing work environment, often with demanding timescales.
Experience and qualification:
• Degree or equivalent in a relevant engineering or technical discipline, or proven experience working in an equivalent engineering role. (Typ. Aerospace / Mechanical / Electronics / Systems Engineering, Physics).
• Professional qualification, or working towards one.