QinetiQ comprises teams of dedicated people; experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. We draw on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems. Our people make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don’t you join some of the world’s finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
Job description/Person specification
GG11 Systems Architect/System Modeller
QinetiQ undertakes architecting across the defence and security domains helping to understand problems and develop solutions, either directly for the customer or as part of supply-side activity.
QinetiQ's systems architects are renowned for providing high quality, independent technical advice to a wide range of customers, in support of their major acquisition programmes, and for developing our own range of world-leading products.
We are seeking to further bolster our capabilities in this area. Opportunities exist in several areas such as:
• Naval combat systems and unmanned vehicle systems
• Cyber vulnerability assessment.
These opportunities exist at several of our sites, principally:
• Portsdown (naval systems)
• Malvern (cyber).
The vacancies are mainly within existing established areas of business working alongside other more experienced systems architects. The roles would suit those who can take an outline architecture and either formalise its description using an established notation and tool, or use established techniques to assess an architecture e.g. for criteria such as cyber vulnerability or interoperability. Specific training will be available.
1. Devising of systems architectures (and/or related concepts) which capture the problem to be solved and/or essential features (form, structure, characteristics, principles) of the outline solution for simple problems
2. Engaging with customers, other stakeholders, suppliers, other technical disciplines to help develop an appropriate understanding of the problem and to form the bases of viable solutions
3. Elaborating or evaluating systems architectures for simple systems.
Essential Personal Qualities and Behavioural Requirements:
• Able to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team
• Familiarity with at least one system (functional) modelling notation and tool
• Self-motivated, with a ‘can-do’ attitude
• Collaborative to build a ‘one team’ outlook
• Works flexibly
• Ability to (where required) work on a significant project
• Experience in at least one relevant application domain – we will consider individuals with varying levels of experience, including those moving into systems architecting from relevant backgrounds e.g. software architecting.
• Systems analysis skills
• Experience in the use of one or more of Architecture Frameworks, Architecture Description Languages, BPMN, Archimate, MOOD, SysML and UML
• Experience in using tools such as Enterprise Architect, System Architect, Rhapsody, Archi and BizzDesign
• Model Based Systems Engineering
• Knowledge of configuration management
• Flexibility to travel as required to support project activities.
Experience and qualifications:
1. Degree Level qualification or equivalent
2. IEng or equivalent
3. Typically 4 to 7 years plus of relevant experience in engineering/systems engineering (or relevant other technical discipline).
QinetiQ Systems Engineering Grading:
GG10 - Associate
GG11 - Junior
GG12 - Senior
GG13 - Principal
GG14 - Senior Principal
QinetiQ offers an excellent salary and benefits package commensurate with a large international company some of which are highlighted below:
• Career development across a diverse International organisation
• 50% off meals at selected restaurants , 40% off cinema tickets
• Modern and collaborative working environment
• Pension - up to 10.5 % Company contributed
• Flexible Working , Social and family events
• Health Cash Plan , Health Screening, Employee Assistance 24/7
• Leading edge technology focus
• Private Medical Insurance and Dental Insurance at additional cost
• Childcare or After School Club, Annual Leave Purchase
• Personal Accident Insurance, Annual Travel Insurance
• Gym and sports facilities available at larger sites
• Payroll Giving and Volunteering - helping charities and local.