We are currently looking for Engineering Managers to join our team at Ocado’s state-of-the-art automated Customer Fulfilment Centre which is 563,000 square feet and boasts world leading technology, that is predominantly developed in house at Ocado. At full capacity we will be fulfilling over 200,000 customer orders a week from Erith, which requires 24/7 operation and a dedicated team of Engineers and Technicians.
Reporting to the Senior Engineering Operations Manager, the main focus of the Engineering Manager will be to engage with the Engineering Team Manager and shift teams -
- Delivering engineering excellence across your assigned shift, driving the department to a “right first time culture”
- Delivering safe and efficient output from the departmental engineering functions to support the site operations in delivering to customers.
You will be required to work closely with wider site management and project/development teams; to deliver an efficient and cost effective service to the operational customers. The Engineering Manager will lead a continuous improvement culture, from departmental strategy down to daily task level, therefore you must demonstrate visible leadership and be able to drive employee engagement.
Role and responsibilities
- Assessment of your engineering shift team skills and assisting in upskilling and training of staff
- Maintain and improve performance to maximise efficiency of operation in line with KPIs
- Champion safe working practices
- Involvement in disciplinary issues in conjunction with the HR Team
- Involvement in the recruitment and training of new and existing staff
- Leadership of your shift team members including prioritisation and allocation of workload; deploying labour based on the demands and requirements of the task against the competency and capability of resource
- Demonstrating a relentless focus on the quality and detail of everything you and your team undertake
- Conduct performance and probation review meetings
- Champion the process of continuous improvement and developing business cases for funding and detailing implementation plans, with which to guide your management team in delivering initiatives
- Provide training, mentoring, coaching and development of your shift team
You may be asked to perform tasks as required by management deemed as a reasonable request. This job description is a summary of the typical functions of the role, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of possible role responsibilities, tasks and duties and is subject to review. The responsibilities, tasks and duties of the job holder might differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, might form part of the job.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Good technical ability relating to automation hardware and software, this may include, but is not limited to: HNC Engineering or equivalent; Engineering Technician Apprenticeship; Or Electrical and/or mechanical skills preferably gained in an FMCG background to at least NVQ level 3.
- Experience at management or senior supervisory level ideally within an automated or manufacturing environment
- Comprehensive understanding of production, picking and storage MHE systems, gained from experience in a warehouse environment
- Experience of working with Computerised maintenance management systems
- Strong verbal communication, written and numeracy skills
- Sound analytical skills with an eye for detail; good problem solving ability and a practical approach
- Previous experience of managing KPI’s to target
- Previous experience in a 24/7 productivity conscious warehouse environment (desirable)
- The ability to engage and enthuse a diverse team in a time-constrained environment
The ideal candidate will
- Be of graduate calibre either through education or demonstrable experience
- Be purposeful and motivated; leading by example in stretching both themselves and their team
- Approach pressured situations in a calm, measured and consistent manner
- Be punctual, reliable, professional and comfortable working alone or as part of a team
- Be proud to lead a culturally diverse workforce delivering outstanding service to our customers
This role will be shift based working both days and nights, weekdays and weekends, 12 hours per shift with an average of 42 hours per week on a panama shift basis.
We are offering a very competitive salary from £55,000 - £65,000 per annum which is dependent on qualifications and experience.
What we can offer
- 15% off your Ocado shopping
- Free Shares
- Life Assurance
- Private Medical insurance
- Employee assistance programme