Propulsion Technology Group Principal Engineer
Salary: £41,610 - £45,774
Location: Bristol, Nuneaton
Apply before 11:55 pm on Wednesday 15th April 2020
Are you an experienced Principal Engineer who is ready to take the next step in your career? Do you want to work with some of the biggest names in the automotive industry?
And do you want to make sure that vehicles placed on the UK market comply with relevant legal obligations?
If so, then this exciting opportunity as our Propulsion Technology Group Principal Engineer (MSU) is for you, and we’d love to hear from you.
The Propulsion Technologies Group forms part of the Vehicle Certification Agencies Type Approval Authority division. The Principal Engineers role will work within two main project areas; The Market Surveillance Unit (MSU) project and the In-Service Conformity (ISC) project.
The MSU was established by the Department for Transport in summer 2016 to oversee and manage a programme of continued testing of vehicles and components following the uncovering of the diesel emissions scandal. VCA Technically support DfT in their environmental market surveillance activities, where the overall aim of the project is to check that new products placed on the UK market comply with the relevant legal obligations. Close cooperation is required between the agencies in order to achieve the objectives of the project.
Within your role you will:
• Lead the testing of vehicles to their certified condition (on cycle testing) but in addition perform some level of off cycle testing;
• Support the Propulsion Technical Group (PTG) Technical Specialist in the analysis of emissions test data from the emissions laboratory and on road testing;
• Review this data and objectively provide written comments on the data trends to the Market Surveillance Unit, making any further recommendations for additional testing where necessary;
• Support the evaluation of the data and any meetings between the manufacturer and key stakeholders so that the technical analysis and evaluation of the testing data can be explained;
• Conduct data logging analysis and software review, as it may be possible that additional channels are recorded on board the vehicles in order to understand it’s behaviour in greater depth;
• Keep up to date with the latest technology available on the market, as manufacturer’s are expected to deploy the technology to the widest extent possible to reduce the vehicles environmental impact;
• Put forward ideas for continuous improvement to the programme and apply these to your role;
• Learn the detail of evolving propulsion technologies to effectively evaluate their compliance.
You will have excellent communication skills both verbally and in writing, with the ability to adapt your delivery to suit a wide variety of audiences, maximising both impact and understanding. You are someone who gains rapport quickly with others as you build effective working relationships with both colleagues and stakeholders. You will have confidence in your ability to come in and make a real impact within our team where you will lead from the front and drive those around you to achieve the same shared goals. You will have excellent organisational skills with the ability to manage multiple and often conflicting priorities to time and of a high standard.