At SONI and EirGrid Group, we have an exciting new opportunity for a Senior Engineer to join the Network Planning team within the Innovation and Planning Function, based in Belfast.
We are SONI – the electricity System Operator for Northern Ireland. We plan and operate the electricity system, the wholesale market, and manage flows on interconnectors with our neighbours. We ensure that electricity is always available when and where it’s needed, every second of every day.
SONI has been part of the EirGrid Group since 2009. SONI operates the all-island wholesale electricity market with EirGrid through the Single Electricity Market Operator (SEMO) which has been in operation since November 2007. SONI is regulated by the Utility Regulator (UR). SEMO is regulated cooperatively by the Commission for Regulation of Utilities Water and Energy and UR through the Single Electricity Market Committee (SEM-C).
Our 2020 - 25 strategy is shaped by climate change and the transition of the electricity sector to low-carbon, renewable energy.
We have a unique role to play in leading the radical transformation that is required. Our strategy sums up our response to these challenges. It consists of a set of key goals, underpinned by our purpose to Transform the power system for future generations.
We now seek an ambitious and dynamic Senior Engineer who will undertake various power system modelling and analyses such as loadflow, short circuit and other more advanced analyses in support of identifying, communicating and resolving transmission system needs.
Key responsibilities include:
- Carry out a range of technical and techno-economic power system studies and analyses to investigate and justify grid investments
- Approach problem solving with an innovative mindset, being open to a wide range of technology solutions
- Prepare presentations and reports for internal and external stakeholder engagement
- Liaise closely and maintain good working relationships with other parts of EirGrid Group and with stakeholders such as the Distribution System Operator, Transmission Asset Owner, regulator, consultants and contractors
- Contribute positively and proactively to the development, review and improvement of transmission network planning procedures, methodologies and documentation to ensure their robustness, consistency and accuracy
- Liaise regularly with the Team Lead and Head of Network Planning to ensure issues are raised in a timely manner, and propose potential solutions
If you believe you have the skills and experience to take up this position, please upload your application (CV with cover letter).
SONI is an Equal Opportunities Employer