Do you relish the challenge being part of a growing business, a team, an industry, and seeing the energy you help generate? Are you at your best when contributing to a range of projects and collaborating across teams to solve the problems of the future?
Within CSA Catapult we look beyond the status quo. We look to employ people based on ability and attitude; we measure what you deliver and how you do it. We encourage collaboration in everything we do as we value the diversity of thought that we each bring to every challenge.
Who are we? The next wave of emerging technologies will have an enormous impact on our lives. 5G communications will enable a host of new and exciting applications such as connected autonomous vehicles and multimedia services. Increasing demand for clean energy will require new electricity networks, while advanced sensing will open-up new opportunities for health diagnostics and security. These developments will be underpinned by Compound Semiconductor (CS) technologies.
We are a Not for Profit organisation; here to help the UK economy grow, and we work across the UK with a range of industry sectors from automotive to medical, and from digital communications to aerospace. Through employing leading minds and investing in technology, we help bridge the gap between idea and implementation by removing the barriers often faced by SMEs.
We are small company but undergoing rapid growth and so we need to expand our Packaging team with an individual who will support the design of packages for all three technical divisions: Photonics, RF and Microwave, and Power Electronics.
Purpose of the Post
- To deliver manufacturing engineering and process expertise in microelectronic fabrication for project delivery and to advance the knowledge and capabilities of the Catapult.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Be familiar with semiconductor assembly methods, processes and procedures and working in a cleanroom environment.
- Operate specialised semiconductor equipment for low volume prototype production including die attach, wire-bonding, dispensing equipment, test equipment etc.
- Work closely within a project team to understand technical requirements and translate these into working prototypes.
- Be part of a team involved in the bid process for projects. Understand the project detail to cost a project for materials, equipment and labour to ensure project success.
- Work closely with a team of design engineers and technicians to develop new assembly processes and expand the Catapult’s capabilities.
- Research new equipment, processes, materials or manufacturing techniques to further advance the Catapult’s capability to be at the forefront of technology.
- Liaise with equipment and materials suppliers to obtain best materials for prototype production based on project requirements.
- Designing of mechanical fixtures and jigs to support assembly and testing.
- Provide technical support and process documentation of prototype builds.
Qualifications and Experience:
- A degree in a related engineering or scientific field (Mechanical Engineering, Electronics Engineering, Process Engineering, Materials Science etc).
- Strong CAD experience (SolidWorks or equivalent).
- Hands on practical skills – equipment use, workshop skills, prototyping experience, fault finding.
- Excellent written and oral skills.
- Good materials knowledge.
- Excellent knowledge of microelectronics assembly, techniques and manufacturing.
- Understanding of electronics.
- Knowledge of product design for harsh environments.
- Market awareness of novel assembly processes and techniques.
Behaviours and attributes
- Work under your own initiative and be able to demonstrate adaptability, flexibility in carrying out this role.
What do we offer?
- Up to £40,000 salary pro rata (FTE) depending on your experience.
- Staff bonus scheme.
- 37.5 hour full time working week but can consider part time or job share suggestions.
- Development – as you grow in the role we will support you throughout that journey.
- Payment for a professional membership each year.
- Flexible working – we operate core hours of 10-4. The balance of your hours can be worked around what works for you.
- Generous pension scheme – e.g. you put in 5% and we will put in 10%.
- 28 days leave plus 8 bank holidays (pro rata per annum).
- Private Medical Insurance for you and your family.
- Life Assurance.
- A happy, healthy working environment and great group of people to work with.