Do you relish the challenge being part of a growing business, a team, an industry, and seeing the energy you help generate? Are you at your best when contributing to a range of projects and collaborating across teams to help inform, direct and support those around you in solving the problems of the future?
Within CSA Catapult, we look beyond the status quo. We seek to employ people based on ability and attitude; we measure what you deliver and how you do it. We encourage collaboration in everything we do as we value the diversity of thought that we each bring to every challenge.
Who are we? The next wave of emerging technologies will have an enormous impact on our lives. 5G communications will enable a host of new and exciting applications such as connected autonomous vehicles and multimedia services. The challenge of net-zero to have clean, renewable energy and move from the internal combustion engine to electric cars. Compound semiconductor (CS) technologies will underpin many of these developments.
We are a Not for Profit organisation; here to help the UK economy grow, and we work across the UK with a range of industry sectors from automotive to medical, and from digital communications to aerospace. Through employing leading minds and investing in technology, we help turn ideas into reality, bridging the gap between concept and implementation.
We are a small organisation but undergoing rapid growth. Data and insight are the cornerstones of the Catapult’s decision making, so we need to grow the market intelligence team with an individual who can work in a multi-disciplinary team. This person will help to drive the impact assessment and business development activity across the compound semiconductor landscape that involves four key areas: Photonics, Power and Microwave & RF technologies and Advanced Packaging.
Support business development activities through the provision of market and technology intelligence which inform decisions about the appropriate support across our portfolio of activities. This will include conducting analysis of technology-driven markets to provide evidence of global market size, growth forecasts, UK SWOT, and the overall competitive landscape
To ensure the provision of authoritative, credible market intelligence resources for use by the organisation. This will include evaluating market-leading suppliers of business data, market research reports and technology trends analysis and ensuring that colleagues have access to a portfolio of resources in line with organisational needs
Turning insight into action. To support the business in developing strategies, reports and business cases through the provision of high-quality analysis and insights. This will involve working with colleagues across the organisation to keep abreast of strategy and business case development activities and to ensure that robust and timely market intelligence is provided
‘Always on’ thought leadership. Above and beyond day-to-day duties, the team needs to use the tools that it has been provided to maintain a constant macro view of the industry and the external forces that impact it. Thus, always having an informed opinion on industry issues and market trends that can be shared both internally and externally
About you; you will have
- Experience in delivering a market intelligence and analysis service in a corporate, Government or academic setting. A strong science or a technology background is a must
- Relevant industry experience, degree, postgraduate or post doctorate in the sciences, particularly electrical engineering or electronics would be a nice to have
- Familiarity with tier-one suppliers of market intelligence, company data and relevant analytical tools and how to get the most out of them
- Experience in liaising with, and presenting information to, senior-level stakeholders. This might involve the use of visual styles and formats, including PowerPoint, geographical mapping software and other tools, for representing complex data sets
- Awareness of the UK innovation landscape and the role of Catapults play in GDP contribution
- An understanding of macro-economic indicators used to measure innovation performance, and knowledge of relevant sources of data
Behaviours and attributes
- Enthusiasm, drive, and commitment, commercially savvy
- Strong communication skills. Being able to translate technical jargon into something accessible to multiple audiences and be able to articulate this through oral presentation and/or the written word
- A team player with good interpersonal skills; understanding that the value you bring is more than the sum of a job description. Able to bring people together both inside and outside a business to share a common goal
- Mobile; collaborating will mean getting out of the office from time to time to meet the people that make the technology! Good networking skills are a plus
- Excellent information research and a robust market analysis process and methodology
- Understanding of a broad range of science and technology subjects and ability to quickly learn new concepts
- Ability to work under pressure, quickly understand complex issues and propose solutions, sometimes to very tight deadlines.
What do we offer?
- Highly competitive salary - DoE
- Staff bonus scheme
- 37.5-hour full time working week
- Development – as you grow in the role, we will support you throughout that journey
- Payment for a professional membership each year
- Flexible working – we operate core hours of 10-4. Within reason the balance of your hours can be worked around what works for you
- Generous pension scheme – e.g. you put in 5% and we’ll put in 10%
- 28 days leave plus eight bank holidays
- Holiday carryover
- Private medical insurance for you and your family
- Life Assurance
- A happy, healthy working environment and great group of people to work with